A Socom2/Socom3 Throwback Tournament

Discussion in 'SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs' started by K_M_A_R_T, Feb 22, 2017.

?

Would the community be interested in a throwback S2/S3 tournament?

1. Hell Yes!

71.4%
  2. Hell No!

28.6%
  1. K_M_A_R_T

K_M_A_R_T Code 9

Imagine the entire TRS community with all of the dedicated members that we have playing in a tournament on a decided day ahead of time where we reach out to all former clan members and friends to join us. We make it all about Socom and about the memories it both brings and bonds us together. We can have matches streamed/commentated like actual Esports are now and have a majority of old tournament organizers from Socom be involved such as Urgent Fury, BattleFieldOfHonors, NationalSocomLeague, AmericanSocomLeague, ChaosTactics, etc etc

Longstanding clan members will reunite and longstanding rivalries will emerge all in the name of Socom for just one day.

We can open up a Paypal donation button where anybody can drop any amount of currency into it that they want to put towards prize money.

We can also get the tournament up on Esports betting websites like Bovada or Pinnacle for those Socomers who like to bet during their football season.

All ideas so please give me open feedback and vote accordingly.

SkiMask likes this.
  2. Hastan

Hastan Butterstick

That would be great. A lot of advertisement needed though. I would be down to take part in organizing the event for sure !

K_M_A_R_T likes this.
  3. dizee

dizee Lucille is thirsty

Sounds like a ton of work but it would be fun for sure.

SkiMask and K_M_A_R_T like this.
  4. HTK

HTK nos·tal·gia

WAR_PIG likes this.
  5. HTK

HTK nos·tal·gia

All this can be done if there is a game worth doing it for.

K_M_A_R_T likes this.
  6. Hastan

Hastan Butterstick

Absolutely agree. Would be awesome!

K_M_A_R_T likes this.
  7. K_M_A_R_T

K_M_A_R_T Code 9

WAR_PIG likes this.
  8. Swill

Swill Killjoy

A throwback tournament is fine, but adding money and betting into the mix is a bad idea at this point in time. The priority more than anything else has to be with simply getting as many people playing as possible. On top of that, X-Link is too unreliable to put money into the mix. What happens if X-Link takes a shit in the middle of a game and boots everyone from the room? There's just too much technical risk to add in money.

9. everythingred

everythingred I once had fish tacos when I was drunk

With people using codes and Skype to cheat, I don't think it'd be a good idea to mix money with it. Sad that we can't do tournaments like this on PS4 where there's a huge market for this. The game that started Gamebattles is not there which makes no sense.

Swill likes this.
  10. WAR_PIG

WAR_PIG Wings

Holy shit, I remember this shit too! Didn't I help you on this project? It's so familiar and your name too.

EDIT: I think I was thinking of The National Socom League. [NSL] I helped with graphics and setting up a site on that if I remember right.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  11. There will need to be a step by step CURRENT thread on setting up xlink. Everything I found was outdated with scratches here and there saying "oh this is like this now". I guarantee you this won't happen.

We need someone who knows how to do it to make an updated video on how to set it all up, so people can follow along. I guarantee most of my clan mates wouldn't want to bother digging learning how to set it up.

That said, excellent idea. Even better if we made it a weekend thing with the tournament at the end. I bet a lot of people are rusty. Hopefully get a ton of people on the servers, get some practice in, and then on the 2nd day (Maybe the Sat) host the tournament.

SkiMask likes this.
  12. Laziness

Laziness Free Pizza

@Tawok already did. X link is stupid easy to set up now. Just download and play basically.

13. HTK

HTK nos·tal·gia

NSL (National SOCOM League) I believe was started by =DOA= Dead on Arrival clan. At first the site was hosted through =DoA= clan site and then it went into it's own thing after that. Here is the original roots of NSL https://web.archive.org/web/20040612215929/http://www.clan-doa.com/league/index.php

I competed in the NSL but was never a staffer. My team (What the Fuck) won NSL Season 4, you're not the same @WAR_PIG from the @NUTZ@ clan are you? If you are then this is insanity at its finest hahahahaha

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    WAR_PIG likes this.
  14. HTK

HTK nos·tal·gia

15. WAR_PIG

WAR_PIG Wings

Not the same Pig but I definitely remember you guys. I was rolling with [TOU] Tactical Ops Unit and then later with ShadowOps [SHO] ... I do believe I helped out DOA but it was later when it wasn't part of their site which is why I think they needed help. Man, I can't remember the guys over there though. All those clans we had back in the day... they are run together now. LOL Such a cool time line in the Socom era. I remember [SS] Sea Snipers were the one's who got the whole website thing rolling and having a Signature with your name. LOL

Good times. #socomlove #socomislife

SkiMask likes this.
  16. HTK

HTK nos·tal·gia

I remember both of your teams. :) I did ladders and leagues and there were quite a few options on both ends. I loved the NSL setup and that's why I started theNASL.com because they closed down I believe. Good times though.

WAR_PIG likes this.
  17. K_M_A_R_T

K_M_A_R_T Code 9

I know that some people will try and abuse the system but my hope is that the majority of people who play have integrity and are just excited to see so much Socom activity instead of "oh let me win this $100".

I also agree with @Swill but at the same time I do think a small money incentive does for whatever reason get more people interested in playing so I will personally be putting in $100 towards the winning team of the tournament. I got in contact with some interesting people about it and I was amazed by their interest in it so this idea is going to be pushed and I'm going to round up a TO team that can help me run everything

18. Swill

Swill Killjoy

KMART, money is a terrible idea. It's your money, so if you want to dump it in for some reason, it's your decision. But again, not only is X-Link too unstable or reliable to put a money prize into it, there's also the issue of cheaters. The fact is that there's no way to stop anyone who has tags or subtle codes. Putting money into the tournament will just warp the whole thing for the worse. If you honestly think that people would have "integrity" and not cheat or try to abuse the system, then you're being naive or biased towards your own idea. To be honest, if money is going to be involved, then I wouldn't have any interest in playing.

X-Link SOCOM doesn't need a money tournament. It just needs good, steady, consistent promotion and playing from the community to build it up naturally over time. If you want to help build X-Link SOCOM, then come play on Friday nights and promote X-Link SOCOM play whenever and wherever you can.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    ChicKeN, Smokey_Run and Animal-_- like this.
  19. dizee

dizee Lucille is thirsty

putting money on a tourney to whoever wins is only going to be encouraging cheating

ChicKeN and Swill like this.
  20. PRE_-CISION-_

PRE_-CISION-_ Banned for jumping on the mattress

I guess you can argue a tourney would grow xlink but you're going to see a one day spike and boom back to the norm once it's over. Plus socom is dead, you're just going to have one or maybe two teams of people who still care enough to field teams of relevance and the rest will be a shit show. Cool idea but maybe give it a try if and when they ever reverse engineer the servers.

HTK likes this.
  21. Hastan

Hastan Butterstick

How can you says that ? See it this way, we open up for a tournament, people need to set-up their teams let's say the tournament is not until 1 month time. Teams will need practice, practice means scrims. More people will show up. Generally if some of the guys from one clan are waiting for a scrim, they will most likely join public rooms to warm up. Lots will try and get invites or just make a clan from public rooms. We would be able to open up a section on the forums for clan recruitment which means more activity on the website. What if we create a little campaign on Reddit or other website for visibility? Let's say some other guys prefers to play CA than Socom 2? They'll see that CA has it's place here too!

If we all think positive and all go forward, I'm sure we can give our community a lot more visibility and we never know what happens next.

@K_M_A_R_T Send me a message , I'm willing to help out with the organization.

SkiMask likes this.