Analysis: The Consequences of Reducing the Skill Gap

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by SweeTooth, May 29, 2017.

1. SweeTooth

SweeTooth Night Stalker

Excellent analysis that covers a trend in video games where devs tend to lose touch with what made their game great, where lowering skill cap took away a key aspect of the game's appeal.

Especially the part starting at 11m15s that covers the importance of developer with player-aligned interest.

SOCOM's story also is testament to how the lack of this shared interest in particular hurt the game.

dizee likes this.
  2. Smokey_Run

Smokey_Run Retired 2011-2017

As budgets continue to climb and the risks are higher, games are going to try to appeal to as many people as possible to recoup the costs. It's a different ballgame when most PS2 games cost less than $5M USD to develop and starting with the PS3 games became a $25M USD minimum investment for AAA games.

SkiMask likes this.
  3. dizee

dizee Lucille is thirsty

Online gaming has been deteriorating for me ever since WoWs first xpac came out. Vanilla Wow was probably the last great online AAA game that I played that did no pandering to people, you earned the shit you got. It didnt have stupid gimmicks in it and it didnt have flying mounts ruining world pvp or arenas trying to become a esport.

A few games have been great and skill based since then (DayZ comes to mind for me) but most of them are garbage that pander to people. And the problem with the games I have enjoyed in like the past 10 years, most of them are either indie/EA games or made by devs who cannot support their products correctly.

SkiMask likes this.
  4. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

I am assuming the investment your talking about is also including the marketing costs?

I am thinking that in this day and age, that traditional bit of marketing is a waste of money. Like light it on fire kind of waste. I am wondering if the actual costs could be halved if not more just by that inflated marketing budget alone?

Gotta be a more efficient way...

5. S_L_I_C_K

S_L_I_C_K eSEAL

but why do they cost so much more now? where is the money going? with the technology improving every couple months why wouldnt the cost to develop go down? think about back in the socom days, how many average people were making their own games from their homes? how many do you see now? now i am not saying these "games" these guys are making are good or going to go anywhere, but compared to what we saw back then these guys are knocking it out of the park. so if joe bob can make something that loosely resembles a socom game at almost no cost to him, why does it cost so much for a triple A dev to do it?

6. Smokey_Run

Smokey_Run Retired 2011-2017

HD art isn't cheap. Look at all of the credits for games and you'll see multiple Chinese studios who are contracted to just made art and props.

I would say no. 200+ devs working on something for 3-4 years isn't cheap -- that's $12M/yr in salaries if you take an avg salary of $60k. You've got $36M just in salaries if the project takes 3 years (which most of them do now). Add in contracting outside studios for art, the actual cost of running the building the game is being developed in and so on and so forth.