E3 2017

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by PandaMissesSocom, May 15, 2017.

?

Which will Sony Announce at E3 2017?

1. SOCOM Remaster

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Sailor Moon HD

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. H-Hour coming to PS8 Fall 2045

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Spyro the Dragon HD

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Macklyn Jenner to replace Shu Yoshida as president of WWS

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. SOCOM 5: The Musical VR Edition (DDR gameplay only)

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Murphdawg1

Murphdawg1 Requiem

None? Perhaps that means you have a very narrow taste?

domino99 likes this.
  2. Smokey_Run

Smokey_Run Retired 2011-2017

It was a lukewarm E3 for me. Learned some stuff about games I was excited for and got to see a few new things that are now on my radar. Not every year can be a banger and this is definitely the E3 where huge announcements weren't in the cards because most of the big studios are back to grinding and just aren't ready.

3. dizee

dizee Lucille is thirsty

I dont think he has narrow taste. MP gaming is in really bad shape and SP gaming is starting to trend downward with every game feeling the need to go open world.

my biggest fear for SP games like the last of us 2 is it going open world

4. Murphdawg1

Murphdawg1 Requiem

Naw, Naughty Dog's bread and butter is more linear/narrative driven games.

5. ChicKeN

ChicKeN Socomologist

There is some truth to that but, not entirely. At this point in my life I do have a narrow viewpoint on games in terms of wanting a better shooter to play on console than what has become the generic COD and BF yearly cycle. I know what I like and want, but the game isn't available. I always try new games, though.

Basically what @dizee said. MP games are so few and far between and the ones that look to be coming out look bland. I'd just like a normal, modern, tactical shooter to play on console. Where teamwork and playing smart is rewarded more than taking advantage of aim assist and lobby-host design like COD has. Rainbow Six is okay but its kind of clunky, slow, and weird little gadgets aren't my style.

Like most of you, I question what the harm could possibly be in a SOCOM Remake of the original 2 iterations. I've been hearing a lot of people talk about the SOCOM 2 goggles lately and how the hit detection was so bad it made gunfights seem more exciting with the spray-strafe battles. Which isn't what a remake would be. This is true, so we would get 22 maps with S1 hit detection. What is the harm in that? After all, S1 sold the most copies, did it not? I don't want to beat a dead horse and this conversation is brought up every year. I'd just like to interview someone at Sony and get that answer. Lol.

SHUDRSKI likes this.
  6. SHUDRSKI

SHUDRSKI Butterstick

Agreed. An answer would be nice, other than Yoshida saying we don't know our own expectations.

7. Smokey_Run

Well.. maybe everyone shouldn't have bitched about linear games and copying COD's roller coaster ride formula. Welcome to your own hell.

As for MP games, I give less and less of a fuck with each passing year about competitive MP games. Battlefield was the last bastion for me and I've grown tired of that. I'd rather have cooperative MP experiences these days.

8. dizee

dizee Lucille is thirsty

idk man, they started branching it more open with uncharted 4. ive seen too many games go down this road and im worried TLOU2 is gonna do it too.

9. Eagle_F15

Eagle_F15 Bunny Hopper

I'm excited to see how far Battlegrounds goes on console. They have some pretty dahm good updates incoming. The game is fun, addicting, and can only get better. They optimized it in the recent patch because its running good for me the last couple of weeks and I am enjoying it big time!

There is so much to play these days between console and PC, the games look amazing, gameplay is on point, do we really have time for one game like we did back when there was only SOCOM?

Also, if Sony did bring back SOCOM, what would it be like, content and feature wise? With how games are made these days, they add more to it then simple run & gun type games like SOCOM was. I think it would not be the way some of us think it would be, imo.

10. ChicKeN

ChicKeN Socomologist

Hard to tell honestly. SOCOM Is definitely a niche game. It is a third person "tactical" shooter. I think with the increased popularity of H1Z1 and PUBG it has opened the 3rd person market up a lot. PUBG is a very slow paced game and people seem to be completely fine with that (on PC of course, so it is a different market). There are a lot of people talking about being excited for PUBG on console. The fact that people just sit behind walls/hills/trees on that game, pop up, and take it competitively makes SOCOM seem a bit more relevant. Mind you again, this is on PC, different market. If Sony actually released SOCOM Remastered and not some new formulated game, I think it will outsell S1/S2. 60 million + PS4 consoles have been sold. 3 million curious people are going to try SOCOM Especially if it has a campaign mode.

11. Smokey_Run

Why do people just assume, oh the system sold 60+ million units, surely 3 million will buy a SOCOM.

Horizon Zero Dawn, a game with great critical praise and the defacto Playstation 4 exclusive after Uncharted with a lot of buzz, only managed to sell 3.4 million units with a massive push.

12. ChicKeN

ChicKeN Socomologist

60+ million sold isn't the end all be all reason why. It is a combination in the increased interest of 3P games as well. Multiplayer games do add more appeal. Especially if the multiplayer is good.

13. ChicKeN

ChicKeN Socomologist

Don't you guys think that S3, CA, SCON, and S4 came out at the wrong time too? I mean the COD train just started rolling before SCON came out in 2007 (COD4). Before that Halo ( a lot of GB SOCOM players switched to halo for a bit of time) was popular during S3-CA. It wasn't until like MW3 - Black Ops 2 - Ghost timeframe that COD peaked off.

Looking back, SOCOM was kind of "pushed" out at the wrong time. COD was still getting more popular and popular and never peaked until after SOCOM was dead and gone. The market wasn't even there for a SOCOM.

14. ChicKeN

ChicKeN Socomologist

Of course, its easy to look at and say that in hindsight. It is true though. COD became the "fad" like a fidget spinner on steroids and SOCOM never had a chance during those years, though. Especially with the boom in E-Sports all at the same time. Young kids want to be pro or like pro's. Nothing has even put SOCOM in the that light because there hasn't been a SOCOM during a timeframe where the light can be shined on it.

I guess my point is, I think now seems like a good time for a SOCOM because COD and BF seem to be getting stale. On the flipside though, Sony wants COD to succeed because they sucked Activision off to make their system the premiere system to play it on.

I derailed a bit there. It was my first time ever watching E3 and again, that Bravo Team title had me a little bit curious.

15. Murphdawg1

Murphdawg1 Requiem

I think they did it with Uncharted 4 because they took a page from the Tomb Raider reboot which had semi open hub worlds where you could explore and find collectibles. Nothing wrong with having the freedom to slow down and explore an area before moving on.

16. Eagle_F15

Eagle_F15 Bunny Hopper

I disagree kind of. PUBG at the beginning maybe I see what you are saying, waiting, hiding, crawling, but just like the in Socom, you did the same. You can drop off in middle and get right into battle. There are many similarities between them both. Its very tactical, in whatever approach you take. Run & gun, snipe, camp ect. There is one objective to stay alive, simply engaging action once that blue circle of death closes in on you!

17. Eagle_F15

Eagle_F15 Bunny Hopper

Confrontations lack of a story mode hurt them, possibly. COD and there amazing single player missions were/are sweet, I wasn't into them back then, being a Socom only player, I only wanted PvP, still do. But today, I will try and play when I have time, some of these single player mission type games take up a lot of time. Like Metro, games graphically amazing, story is great. This game was released in 2014 and I just purchased it on PC(its coming to console, hopefully it has PvP and or coop), the gun mechanics are pretty good, I see it doing well with PvP if they add it.

18. ChicKeN

ChicKeN Socomologist

Its more due to COD being dominate during those years IMO. It started in 07 and COD was like a snow ball it just accumulated more and more and more people until it got as big as it could get. Now I think people are just getting a bit tired of the same thing over and over. Even the COD fanboys are saying these things now.

19. ChicKeN

ChicKeN Socomologist

Hate to break it to ya bud but PUBG is nothing like SOCOM. Maybe like SCON more than anything because SCON was really clunky feeling and had a sprint button. Any top 10 PUBG stream you watch is action when you first land, then slowly looting/camping, etc. I'm not saying the game is bad but it is definitely super slow. H1Z1 is much faster paced and SOCOM like than PUBG.

20. SHUDRSKI

SHUDRSKI Butterstick

Going back to WW2 maybe the only thing to save COD now, atleast until 2018's COD comes out. As said in above posts, COD/BF are definitely slowing down, that's because they are out of ideas. As someone that spent ridiculous amounts of time on S2/CA/SCON, and having to try and accept different shooters and FPS's, there's no comparison. People say "You cant compare stuff out now to what you started on". I started on NES/SNES. 64, got hooked on Golden Eye, PS1 Medal of Honor took a good year and half away from me. PS2 - SOCOM 1 - Life over. So I played FPS's long before 3rd person shooters. So I can state that there is no comparison. The fact is that I cant recall letting someone take the controller to play SOCOM and not get a sense of SOCRACK. The game itself we know was ahead of its time and the basics still hold true. The gameplay is what keeps people hooked. I did love CA and still prefer it, many disagree, and that's fine. Rambled off for a second, SOCOM is needed now, ESPECIALLY with Esports, because there is nothing out there like it. A 3rd person Tac shooter that requires skill? please someone point out anything close that right now. We were on the right track with the SOCOMREMASTERED movement. Yoshida said not likely on PS4, said same about others. Fact is we should of found new venues to try. I know the community is fucking sick of trying to get attention or trying to get a new SOCOM. But if that were true, that whole Bravo Team wouldn't of excited anyone, but it did. SOCOM has a place here and now if done proper. But that is the problem. It wasn't done proper since PS3 came out.