eSEALs Season 3 Rosters, Schedule, Maps, etc...

Discussion in 'Events' started by SkiMask, Sep 13, 2017.

1. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

Can anybody sum up the results, brackets, teams, rosters, etc for Season 3? Any other commenting about the league, the matches, website, anything and everything eSEALs related is welcomed.

Bring the hate, the love, your curiosity–whatever.

Let's talk eSEALs.

2. MattyB

MattyB Devil's Road

I'm still not sure I understand who Eseals is for. Is it for the players to have a competitive feel or is it to build an audience and a community?

3. Animal-_-

Animal-_- Incurable

[​IMG]

SkiMask likes this.
  4. JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz

JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz Pizza Shitposting CIO

[​IMG]

xCaZx- and Animal-_- like this.
  5. MattyB

MattyB Devil's Road

I don't know if that's as easy as you think. It seems like they are going with the idea of quantity over quality at the moment since season 3 started like a day after season 2 ended. It makes sense considering they are trying to gain an audience, but I think it can really kill the perceived value of how important the league is. I think having a draft also kills the excitement as a viewer. I want to see rivalries started and I want to see how smooth a well-oiled socom team can perform. I know that means that would cause some separation of skill levels, but if i'm a team getting killed, I would want to grind and get better, plus roster changes in-between seasons would be fun. The thought of a relegation system would also be pretty intriguing. I like the high level play, but to me the current state just feels like a random group of 6 to 8 guys coming together and playing a socom match, which just leaves me wondering what it could be. As always, think there has been some good work put in, but just wonder if the next step needs to happen before they keep producing the same thing over and over again.

6. eVo7

eVo7 Vicious Provacateur

Because that's really what it is. You've missed your chance in seeing real competition that was 14 years ago.

7. ninjawarrior-56

ninjawarrior-56 203 Spammer

There is a lot that goes into this and I'm sure Hexum can speak to it in more detail than I can. I'll explain some of the things you listed out and the reasoning behind it. First the reason Season 3 started so quick after Season 2 is because Season 2 in many ways was a failure and I'll go into detail about that later. The players wanted to finish the season and get to Season 3. There is a lot of discussion about the future season in the current season which builds hype and leads to a quicker turn around.

The end goal is to bring SOCOMers back. The league is very important to many people in the community and it's important to remember previous to this nobody was a professional esports gamer or a professional broadcaster. Skills are being developed on the spot. New features are being added and rules are being changed. There will be a day when this is polished and it's getting better as days go on.

The draft was voted on by the players for a few reasons. We want the image of eSEALs to be amazing but in truth like all things there is a dark side. Unfortunately in Season 2 there where a lot of fights between players and unfortunately instead of working out differences it was easier to quit the league. If you noticed it went from 6 teams to 5. The players that were talked off the edge into staying had to be reassigned to another team which leads to mismatches. In season 3 there is a $500 prize pool and mismatches couldn't happen with money on the line. So you killed 2 birds with 1 stone with the draft. Captains pick the team they like and people aren't going to switch teams.

Mid season roster changes are cool but again with money on the line that can't happen.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  8. MattyB

MattyB Devil's Road

What value does a draft bring, though? That's great that it was voted on by the players, but it clearly didn't work so why go back to it? If you are going to put money on the line, let players form their own teams and grind to be the best. Season 2 was a failure (your words not mine) so why jump right back in with a few rule changes and expect things to be different? I get that production value will increase with more reps, but will $500 really make people play well together when they are forced to play on the same team? When I talked about roster changes I was talking about in between seasons, not during a season.

9. ninjawarrior-56

ninjawarrior-56 203 Spammer

Why didn't the draft work? This was the first time a draft was performed so we never went back to anything...

10. HTK

HTK nos·tal·gia

What is the population of this community that's competing?

How many teams are there that can put 8 man roster together?

11. hexum

hexum [LiQ]

the conversation isnt worth having on the operations of what we are and arent doing because from the sidelines, it wont make any sense.

back on topic though, i will be posting season 3 details and a link to the draft video tonight. The draft used a OBS layout that made the presentation so much fun.

12. hexum

hexum [LiQ]

6 teams...8 players each. we have a discord of 80 players that are used for the teams as well as subs if needed.

side note....Our streams for these wars average 20-30 with our bigger matchups getting over 40. for a game thats 15 plus years old..thats decent

JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz and Medux like this.
  13. Medux

Medux Requiem

more on the way. I'll be ordering a ps2 soon.

SkiMask likes this.
  14. HTK

HTK nos·tal·gia

Let me get this straight. This community is already small, and there are multiple leagues involved?

dizee likes this.
  15. Swill

Swill Killjoy

The problem is cheating. Once money gets put on the line, you can absolutely guarantee that people are going to find ways to cheat in order to win. SOCOM has always been notorious for cheating, and this won't be any different. Hardcore SOCOMers tend to be scummy bottom-feeders who will do anything to win at a dead 14 year old game. I know, I know. "But with Harry's Patch people can't cheat!" Even Harry himself said that there's no way of knowing 100% for certain whether or not someone is cheating, and in today's day and age with the technology available, I don't think there's any way to prevent cheating on a 3rd party client for a game as old as this.

16. hexum

hexum [LiQ]

its third season in....weve had 5 matches already with no issues..we stream ever war with a commentator who also goes into each voice chat. theres no issues. simple as that.

17. hexum

hexum [LiQ]

multiple leagues?

18. MR.BLONDE

MR.BLONDE HE STINKS AND I DON'T LIKE HIM

The problem 'could' be cheating, as in, it's a potential future, but I have yet to see any evidence that it is a current issue in eSEALs. There are many systems in place to mitigate the possibility.

There's the cheat detection inherent in the patch required to play in the league. It could potentially be bypassed, but the knowhow to do it significantly prolongs the process, I would think. Yes, Harry has been careful not to promise us 100% cheat-free environments, but the fact is that the patch creates an environment with more security, even if it isn't total security.

On top of that, the patch allows the match commentators to monitor each player on either team, at any time. This, hopefully, would help root out any health cheats or god mode, or whatever, but I'm not certain.

I also believe the draft system that has been implemented might help in preventing any conspiracies among teams to keep quiet about cheating, suspected or confessed between teammates. If it were longstanding tight-knit groups, I feel it would be more likely to encounter a team that would have one or more members cheat, with the others vouching for them, than 5 random guys that don't know each other that well, or even rub each other the wrong way. Make any argument about chemistry and competition you want, that's fair.

19. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

What are you talking about? I hadn't heard of another league. Only thing I can infer is possibly people organizing some pick up games on some day of the week, which is what has happened more or less over the past few years anyways. Can you clarify?
    One could argue your opinion on the matter is simply questioning the integrity of the thing just to stir shit and am personally glad your not involved in any way whatsoever. You're off putting with your logic and you'd push people away with your thinking. Simple as that.

Your simply someone who can take a league people are playing in for fun and a little bit of money and try and make it sound like something nefarious is in some way, around the corner. Kind of like when you lose to someone dive proning cause they got more fingerspeed, skill and the best of you. How very competitive of you to point out something so statistically rare like cheating with the patch in a patched room when people are talking the nuts and bolts to the organization of the thing.

More dissuasion for your satisfaction perhaps?

20. Swill

Swill Killjoy

Again, you don't know if people are cheating or not. You can't see what a player is doing on their end with their PS2/PC. You don't know if they've found a way to implement tags or whatever else. Again, Harry has said himself that the patch can't be fool proof and there's no way of really knowing if someone cheats or not.