Focuzed's Task Force Tester Recruitment Thread Pt. 2

Discussion in 'SOCOM Indie Projects' started by Animal-_-, Jul 10, 2017.

1. eVo7

eVo7 Hillary Clinton's I.T. Guy

I'm not donating shit. Redline can get fucked.

Swill and dizee like this.
  2. LesbianSeaguLL

LesbianSeaguLL Navy SEAL

If you actually donate money to redline and have knowledge of his history with communities and development... Well... I got some Ocean front property in Idaho i'd like to offer you for great rates.

MACK IS GOD, Swill and ShellShock-_- like this.
  3. Eagle_F15

Eagle_F15 Bunny Hopper

I do not see anything that seperates Task Force from HHOUR in there current states. Of course I still have to play Task Force to really get the feel, but just from watching videos of both and a stream the other day of Task Force, they are very similar and have lots to overcome.

I understand TF is in Alpha and HHOUR is in EA, let's see what they can do? As long as they got people working on them, anything is possible.

4. Bigfry

Bigfry Cancer-Free

Task Force feels MILES ahead of H-Hour, outside of the maps. If TF had maps, there wouldn't be a discussion IMO

5. Eagle_F15

Eagle_F15 Bunny Hopper

I will disagree until I play :)

That jungle map didn't look to good.

Animations/movement, weapon sounds nothing substantially different, saw players taking shots and no health taken, there is no recoil just a bouncing crosshair, seems like every gun pattern is the same. UI needs tones of work. Ambiance sound in that jungle map was terrible. Saw a dude kneeling, looks left one sound, looks right another sound, lol!

It's early, getting everything to work is obviously the key. Until I play it not much I can go off of but streams.

6. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

Video/clip/screen or it didn't exist.

"Jungle Map"?!?

Where's the f#*kin updates for this game?

7. Eagle_F15

Eagle_F15 Bunny Hopper

Not sure if it's a official map but here are some comparisons. Rangers map on the bottom, TF top left and HHOUR top right.

Those are early SS of Rangers map. He's gotten so much better especially now that he makes his own assets!
    [​IMG]

SkiMask likes this.
  8. XtErmin8

XtErmin8 Rah-he-lah!

That jungle is not an official map. The layout of it is actually damn good and it plays well. Here's a video of what the game currently looks like.

SkiMask and Bigfry like this.
  9. Eagle_F15

Eagle_F15 Bunny Hopper

Yeah, we've seen this gameplay. The jungle map threw me for a curveball. The layout is good ;)

10. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

Thank you for providing some video footage of the current state.

Can you tell me who is behind "Tracer Interactive"? Is that Redline's new company or another entity of someone else entirely who is helping with the project? I was sort of confused when this was all announced since it was basically a video drop of gameplay and no explanation.

Any information anyone is able to provide is appreciated.

11. XtErmin8

XtErmin8 Rah-he-lah!

Np, yes this is Redline's new project.

SkiMask likes this.
  12. eVo7

eVo7 Hillary Clinton's I.T. Guy

Game looks uber boring. That video was 90% people getting shot in the back.

dizee likes this.
  13. dizee

dizee Lucille is thirsty

and people getting hip fire sniped across the maps.

Eagle_F15 and MattyB like this.
  14. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD VP of Toxicity

The running and firing animation always seems to be off in every attempt to recapture Socom. Its not just this particular endeavor, every iteration of these independent games just cant seem to get the running and shooting mechanic right.

Is that an issue with pre made animations that they use? I dont know how any of that shit works but it would stand to reason that a 15 year old game 2 console generations removed wouldnt have more realistic and fluid running and shooting animations, yet to me me, it looks like it does.

SkiMask and MR.BLONDE like this.
  15. MR.BLONDE

MR.BLONDE HE STINKS AND I DON'T LIKE HIM

Although I like to see these fan projects succeed, I agree that the animations just look... off. SOCOM's animations were perfect to me. Run and Gun, although it was faster than life, looked smooth. I like how strafing right and left made your character rotate their spine in such a way that them strafing looked real. It's hard to explain, I think. The crouching slow strafe also looked really cool, how he slowly swung his feet to the side and shit.

Watch this video, and make note of how the SEAL moves. Note which way he points his weapon when not guns hot, and watch as his torso turns when shooting. Also note how he outstretches his left arm when strafing left to point the weapon outward, and contracts it when strafing right to bring it in close to the chest.

Now, if I can pick on H-Hour for a moment, watch this video.

Notice how the motion between the legs and torso seems almost independent of each other. Notice how the solider does not turn their upper body during running, instead facing forward with their chest at all times. The only time he assumes the position of holding the gun to his left side is standing still, when the player throws grenades from the tunnel entrance. Note that the gun barrel barely moves at all, both when lowered and raised to shoot. And this isn't even a fangame, this studio had access to motion capture equipment.

Here's some footage of Task Force, now.

Running with the gun lowered, to me, looks better here than H-Hour. The character does indeed turn their torso about somewhat to match their heading. But the player model takes up a very low profile, rarely moving their feet out to the sides, even when crouch strafing. The gun barrel bobs around in motion a bit more than H-Hour, but I still feel the motions are not near as fluid as SOCOM.

To be fair, Zipper had access to both mocap studios and military consultation, as well as a budget. Fan projects are probably always going to look a sight jankier, unfortunately. I find that the elbows don't stick out enough, if that makes sense. They're tucked into the torso all the time, the shooting looks like a gangster hipfiring a Thompson sometimes. Meanwhile, standing upright in SOCOM and shooting, the right elbow pops out, and it looks like the gun is well supported. It's a very stable, methodical stance, and even shooting in motion looks practiced. We need to get Motsada Mori on the phone to try and help out our boys on the fangames, man.

Actually, I should mention, since Task Force is a PC game, I could be wrong, but I don't believe it's programmed for multiple movement speeds the same way. SOCOM had to accomodate an analog stick that allows for slow walk, jog, and sprint in all directions. Crouch stance in SOCOM basically only exists at a standstill and slow speeds, and automatically returns to standing animations for running, returning to a crouch when the player stops movement. I don't believe most PC SOCOM fangames/H-Hour do this, please correct me if I am wrong.

16. MattyB

MattyB Devil's Road

I thoroughly enjoyed your research paper on player movement, @MR.BLONDE .

MR.BLONDE likes this.
  17. oni64

oni64 Third Person illusionist

I get the impression that the vision is warped and they are pleased with these animations. It also doesn't help the fact that no one on the indie projects is a professional animator. Its mostly programmers with no artistic vision with split prefences of what made Socom great. The end goal is to make something they think Socomers will like that resembles socom given their abilities.

18. MR.BLONDE

Thanks, I actually wrote my dissertation on the implications of jump-to-climb on our human desire for control, and my thesis was about the pros and cons of being able to move and throw grenades simultaneously.

dtodt13 likes this.
  19. MattyB

MattyB Devil's Road

Was your arguement for or against the ability to move and throw grenades simultaneously? I don't want to heat this discussion up too much but I have to know.

20. MR.BLONDE

I already hate grenades enough in S2, fuck being able to Brett Favre them across the map and then get back to cover even faster