Friday Night Community Night - ROLL CALL

Discussion in 'SOCOM Community Nights' started by Swill, Apr 21, 2017.

1. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

While I disagree on the graphics alone, I do agree on the hit detection. Two words. Head shots.

I also think the maps from SOCOM CA don't look anything but atrocious. But I do love them game modes. Problem for me is that no one ever plays just the CA stuff when playing the game. The one time we did everyone bitched the entire time which makes playing for me not fun. I know, I'm sort of odd that way, but hearing people complain the whole few hours about the game just wears me out is all.

BUT I have been keeping enough of a distance from Combined Assault that I am sort of looking forward to the next extended session of it. I would like to see a few more players on it too.

And I seriously cannot wait for the day when we can boot up SVDL and play 32 players on Devils Road or something goofey like that. When we testing that shit again?
    I think this is an issue. I hate this fact.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  2. WAR_PIG

WAR_PIG Wings

I'm calm bro.. .LOLOL... Wasn't meaning you personally put down ppl although I do feel like you look down on ppl that like it. But it's all good. I actually do agree with you and would say yes, the gun mechanics are different. I think for the better IMO. Yes, they could have more recoil but I think it's also hyperbole to say that kills skill levels in the game. I think you need just as much in both game. Just has different mechanics.

3. eVo7

eVo7 Hillary Clinton's I.T. Guy

Just to add a little more into this, if anything you called people who don't like S3/CA close minded and snobs, so who is putting who down here? One of the reasons I don't play CA is that you guys playing during the week and late at night (for me) but I've never put anyone down for liking or playing S3/CA.

WAR_PIG likes this.
  4. WAR_PIG

WAR_PIG Wings

I did call them snobs but purist is more accurate.... which you admitted to being. ;) I never said they were closed minded for not liking it. To be clear I said I think if your opinion of the game is so strong that you won't play it with your TRS brethren, then yes... I think that is closed minded and I stand by that assessment. I totally understand that you can't play during the week. It's all good. Just wish you play with us one night. Maybe we could rotate Friday nights back and forth to CA/S2.... S2/CA.... or something ? Like every other Friday play CA instead.

5. S_L_I_C_K

S_L_I_C_K eSEAL

i dont have problem with change. i liked the big maps, i didnt have an issue with vehicles, i really didnt have an issue with attachments, what i do have a problem with is changes that dont work or cause more problems than they fix like 6 axis lean and side switching.
    as far as the maps go, one of the biggest problems with the ca maps was the fact they bottle necked down at both ends. 2-3 players could easily hold of 16 if they did it properly. our clan used to use the in game ladders and several times we found ourselves outnumbered at the start of a war by several players, more than once we started a war down by 12 and still managed to win. we won because the maps were designed to allow that. 2 choke points coming into the base, mine them up and wait. when you see the red arrow indicating a grenade you step back, once it blows you step forward.
    wars ended up lasting far to long because of these choke points. on socom 1 and 2 we could get in 2-3 wars per night, on socom 3 and ca we were lucky to finish 1 war because they lasted so freaking long. a few times i just said the hell with it and went to bed because after 3 hours in i was just bored with it.

6. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD VP of Toxicity

>Goes to Italian restaurant
    >orders Stuffed shells and Meatballs
    >doesnt order Osso Buco masterrace
    >chick he brought there sees he has the palate of an 8 year old
    >decides shes not going to bang him later
    >she still orders the lobster

gordon2.gif

eVo7 likes this.
  7. MACK IS GOD

While its no secret I prefer s2, I have no problem at all playing CA if thats where we are playing. My only issue is I would rather play with 6 of my guys on my team in a full room in S2 than a 3 v 3 in CA.

If the inverse were true I would prefer to play CA. Its about the fullness of the room and game availability for me more than which game I personally like better. I play to play with the guys Im playing with. Thats the only reason Im playing. So if I have a much better chance of playing with everyone on the same team in S2 in a full room I would naturally prefer that.

Either way I'll be on tonight.

SkiMask and WAR_PIG like this.
  8. Drum

Drum Get to da chobba!

1. On most TRS Wednesdays I've played, we've had at least two vehicle maps. I'm not averse to more, however. It's only one night a week, so why not get as full a CA experience as we can.
    2. Objectivity is relevant when it comes to hashing out obvious differences -- e.g., between S2 and CA:
    "In CA, it takes longer to switch from nades to primary, to switch from one stance to another, to switch from one teammate to the next when spectating, to load the browser, and to load the game." <--- Objective analysis.
    3. Personal bias, by definition, plays a part when deciding what one prefers, or when forming an opinion of what is "better" -- usually after having made an objective analysis.
    4. Nostalgia -- the personal yearning for former, happier, better times -- likely will play a part in said personal decision. SOCOM II was better for the person whose "nostalgia bias" persuades them to choose S2 over latter installments of the series.
    5. Although I played S1 for about a year before S2 came out, nostalgia played a limited part in whether I would stick with S2 thereafter. (The nostalgic elements I missed were quite inconsequential: the auto call-outs of "Man down!" etc.; the ominous in-game soundtracks, especially in the Congo maps; the "clink" sound when scrolling and selecting lobby items.) Via objective analysis, I recognized the obvious differences; via personal bias and objective analysis, I saw more than 90% of those changes as being actual upgrades or worthwhile tweaks; and, all told, I found that S2 facilitated a more pleasurable, re-playable experience.
    6. "S2>S1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CA." <--- Opinion, based on nostalgia-fueled bias and objective analysis. :D

@Swill, no. YOU are the one with the incorrect, crack-smokety factpinions. /s

@eVo7, you're no bigger an S2 junkie than I. What do ya say we give CA Wednesdays all we can? Show up when we can and grind it out, in spite of our aversions. Our CA-heavy fellows do it for us on S2, after all.

@WAR_PIG: Again, I really feel sorry for playing only one map and then ditching you guys, last Wednesday. I'd be upset if a group of guys left an S2 Friday room -- early in the session, no less -- to go play CA. Although I'm one of those S2 hard-heads and proudly so, I vow not to disrespect the CA Wednesday, so long as I can make the date.

MR.BLONDE, SkiMask, Animal-_- and 2 others like this.
  9. ChicKeN

ChicKeN Socomologist

This is how everyone that plays S1/S2 feels. The engine is different on S3/CA. It feels way different. The guns shoot way different and more spray feeling. I feel like I can't tap/burst my weapon. It is 100% more beneficial to just hold R1. I don't like that. I want the extra tier of use that allows me to tap/burst.

People shouldn't be rewarded for spraying and praying. People should be rewarded for marksmanship. But, S3/CA's guns don't allow for that. See enemy > Hold R1 > Keep crosshair on enemy> Hope Enemy Dies.

S2 adds in another layer too that. You can actually tap and burst your weapon and guess what? It makes your gun more accurate? It is the same shit in SCON. Holding R1 and adjusting your spray downward was the way of the game. There was zero mechanical benefit to tapping or bursting. None at all.

eVo7, dizee and Drum like this.
  10. MattyB

MattyB Devil's Road

Sir Drum has spoken.

Drum and WAR_PIG like this.
  11. MACK IS GOD

Its all in the finger speed, bro.

finger speed.jpg

12. eVo7

I have no objections to playing CA other than us playing late on a weekday. Thats the only reason i dont play. If we had s2 friday and CA saturday i would play. I still need to get my controller settings dialed in on that game because i cant hit anything reliably yet.

WAR_PIG and Drum like this.
  13. eVo7

Agreed. In s3/ca if you were moving, tapping your weapon was pointless because it wasnt going ANYWHERE near the center dot of the cross hair anyway. Only if you were stationary. Ala the s2 AKS-74.

14. Swill

Swill Ninja SEAL

This is exactly my point. The issue isn't the Luigi's has changed. The issue is that you're not willing to give change a chance and accept something different than what you're used to. Instead, anything different is automatically labeled "bad" even though it may actually be good or better. You simply resist it because it's not what you're used to.

WAR_PIG likes this.
  15. Swill

Swill Ninja SEAL

1) Flinging grenades "like frisbees" is absolutely better. Video games are meant to be fun and somewhat unrealistic. Being able to throw grenades while moving, something that's perfectly reasonable to do in real life and that you can't even do in S2, is absolutely better than being forced to stand and throw grenades. As for the guns all feeling the same, they don't. You're simply wrong about this.

2) The guns feel different, they don't all feel the same. As for recoil, again, who cares. An element of non-realism is fine and important for a game to feel like a game.

3) CA's mechanics are infinitely better than S2's, and once again, the guns don't all feel the same, so this is off base.

4) "CA's maps are too sanitary." Yeah, ok. Whatever this means lol. I think by "rustic feel" you mean blurry pixelation and shitty graphics. Any idea that S2 maps look better than CA maps is completely asinine.

5) CA is better in almost every department, hands down: Better graphics, better sound, enormously better hit detection, better weapons, better attachments, better character movement, everything. S2 wins out on maps but that's it.

Again, your comment is the perfect example of pure nostalgic bias and nothing more.

16. eVo7

That's definitely not the case. You guys act like I've played CA or SOCOM 3 only twice ever. I've played it for months, and it was for months longer than I actually wanted to play because of the people I was playing with. It's mechanically a different game from S1 and S2, very different and if you can't see that, well then I don't know what to tell you.

but i like how people are telling me I cannot have a preference, and if I do I am either "close minded" a "snob" or it's because I didn't give the other option a "chance". All of which are completely false.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Drum likes this.
  17. WAR_PIG

WAR_PIG Wings

I just want to be clear on this Evo... That is not what was said. There is a big difference and it matters what was said. I said, if that preference prevents you from enjoying some good times and gaming time with TRS brethren then YES, it is my opinion that, that is close minded. The snob thing was more a dig and not serious however it is in fact being a purist which you admitted to being.

Drum likes this.
  18. ChicKeN

ChicKeN Socomologist

I think you are wearing some goggles when you play CA.

First thing, the guns don't feel the same in S2. Are you actually saying they do? Because I think you need a new disc, dude. As for recoil, The community that spawned socombattles to gamebattles cares. The communities that competed in game doing Pub wars care. Regular video gamers who pay attention to detail care. You don't just make games like SOCOM 1 and SOCOM 2 which required tiers of levels of skill mechanically. And gut it out and offer a bullshit, HOLD R1, spray and pray video game like S3, CA, SCON, and S4. You are taking more and more control away from the player themselves and implementing an RNG system. You are essentially taking the entire Tier 1 and part of the Tier 2 skill level of SOCOM 1 and 2 away. Throwing all the players down into a lower tier with players who always have been spray and prayers. You can say whatever dumb shit you want about elements of realism but at the end of the day this is the cold hard facts about the biggest difference between the 2 games. In SOCOM 1 and SOCOM 2. You are a marksman. You are playing a military game and shooting like a marksman. Like an actual soldier. In CA, you feel like you are playing GTA with that bullshit gun mechanic. It is like doing drive by's spraying from a car the entire time.

Let's take CS. A game that has been about marksmanship, 1 Taps and manipulate bursts of fire to get kills. CS decides to completely eliminate the mechanic that resets the recoil after you stop shooting for an entire second. Now, the only option is to spray and pull the crosshairs around appropriately. You aren't a marksman anymore. You have less control other than control spray which has too many inconsistencies. You are placing tier 1 players who are savages with their gun game and taking them down to tiers where they don't belong because a mechanic was gutted out of their game. Also, let's take CS and add some vehicles. Let's having people driving around in Humvees on Dust II busting down mid doors. If you have any conversation with an intelligent competitive minded SOCOM player from back in the day that looks at the game fundamentals and mechanics, they point this shit out exactly. Every single one of them MFers will say the same thing. This is a big deal dude. You can't just blow this off as an "element of realism" because you are changing the game completely. Taking control away from the player themselves.

You see. CS wasn't built for that shit. Either was SOCOM. One group made the right decisions by never implementing it. The other didn't.

19. HTK

HTK nos·tal·gia

Honestly I feel like SOCOM: Confrontation had the best gun mechanics. SOCOM 1 and 2 recoil patters weren't that unique I feel like. Confrontation mixed it up with Vertical/Horizontal recoil patterns while I feel like S1 and S2 were more dominant with Vertical and maybe some Horizontal but not as strong as Confrontation.

Compare Confrontation AK47 to AK47 or AKS74 from S1 or S2 and you'll see what I'm talking about.

SkiMask likes this.
  20. ChicKeN

ChicKeN Socomologist

Confrontation didn't allow to 1 tap or burst your gun. The recoil took 2 solid Mississippi seconds to reset. It used a Camera recoil system, not a crosshair recoil system. Your camera moved, not your crosshair. It was simply holding R1 and pulling down hard on the right analog. Basically S3/CA 2.0 with some differences.