gas grill help

Discussion in 'Mindless Ramblings' started by dizee, May 26, 2017.

1. dizee

dizee Crunchlord

Anyone have any suggestions? I got like a 10 year old charcoal one and Im about done with it, so I want a gas grill.

I was looking around and would like to get one thats gonna have real good durability but not break the bank either. So anyone have any suggestions? I was looking close at the weber spirit e-310 but that is really pushing it money wise.

2. MR.BLONDE

MR.BLONDE Assistant Trailer Park Supervisor

3. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

Gonna sound dumb, but I still use the grates and the lava rock style gas grills. Fuck that "flavorizer" drip bar shit.

All I gotta say got mine as a third tier hand me down where 2nd tier was reclaimed from a "recycling days" event.

4. Jester's dead

Jester's dead Butterstick

I recommend a duel gas/charcoal one if you can find a decent affordable one.

The fact that you've used a charcoal one for 10 years "trust me on this" you will have many days you miss the good ole charcoal. I've had one or the other for years, and always missed the one I didn't have. Gas is so quick and easy, but charcoal is nice for a good day of grilling and tastes better. Just my opinion. I have a cheap dual with cast grates, and will never buy anything else. May have to replace it every 5 years or so, but worth it to me.

SkiMask and dizee like this.
  5. dizee

dizee Crunchlord

I plan on keeping my charcoal one but like you said, the prep time for it is getting rather old.

I am gonna look around and see what I can find this weekend.

Jester's dead likes this.
  6. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD VP of Toxicity

Pick up truck
    Home Depot at 3am
    Bolt cutters
    Outdoor grill displays that they leave out overnight tied down with 1/8 inch chain link
    Phone call to the cops on a burner reporting a shooting on the other side of town
    ?????
    Profit

SkiMask likes this.
  7. Buchanans

Buchanans Breach Bandit

Anybody use burners that use natural gas instead of propane? I'd like to set this up one day as I'd rather just pipe in a connection to a house and never have to worry about stupid tanks going empty.

SkiMask and JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz like this.
  8. JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz

JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz Pizza Shitposting CIO

yep. It's fantastic. They work better than propane cuz you are getting that guaranteed steady stream of fuel. Currenyt place was pre-rigged for it, so I didn't have to do anything except plug and play.

I'm a charcoal person myself, but I can't argue convenience. Next house I am getting a Big Green Egg tho

SkiMask likes this.
  9. Buchanans

Buchanans Breach Bandit

Yeah I wanted to put in a built in up at my mom's vacation house up in Tahoe and I know the natural gas set ups use slightly different jetting then the propane to work proper. Not sure if this is an actual jetting change or if the ports on the burner are different.I like charcoal too but it's a particular inconvenience up there as it just doesn't burn very well up at that elevation. I think a bear came and knocked over a webber kettle when somebody else was up there before too. Could of just been a drunk person too though.

Not grilling but has anybody done or had anything cooked sous-vide before?

I went backpacking a couple weeks ago and there was a hot spring where I went. Somebody suggested that next time I go to just bring a rack of ribs in packaging that they come in (the spiced ones I presume) and a thermometer. Said all I need to do is find a pool that is the temp I want and put the ribs in with a rock over them so they don't float away and they'll be good later or the next day. Depending where you put em.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    SkiMask and JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz like this.
  10. JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz

I've had steak sous-vide at an upscale restaruant. It's strange thinking about it at first, but it's really good when you taste it.

Never heard of hot spring cooking, but I've cooked fish in a dishwasher before, so the theory makes sense to me...

SkiMask and Buchanans like this.
  11. Buchanans

Buchanans Breach Bandit

Ok so it is good tasting that way. That's what I was being told. The idea sounded interesting and I noticed the little machines to do it can cost a decent amount. I was also told you could do things like fish and steak by pouring the hot water into a cooler. That the coolers will keep the water temp only cooling a couple degrees over a couple hours. Kind of skeptical if some shitty beer cooler would be good enough to do that but I can definitely see something like a Yeti style cooler doing that.

Fish in the dishwasher.... lol, that's a new one to me but I can see that working. How was it?

12. JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz

fantastic. You are basically just poaching it with the high heat from the dishwasher. Took a couple salmon fillets, seasoned them, added some lemon, oiled a couple foil pouches, wrapped them and threw them in an empty dishwasher on the top rack for a full cycle. Didn't even stink up the dishwasher, and it was nice and tender.

SkiMask likes this.
  13. UnSeenDeath88

UnSeenDeath88 Butcher Pete

Charcoil is better, better flavor. Just bought my dad a 300 dollar Oklahoma Joes smoker so he can start smoking pork butt again.

14. JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz

Agreed, but like Buchanans said, at high elevation like Lake Tahoe, it's hard to get enough O2 to get a good burn from charcoal.

Can't wait to start smoking again. Big Green Egg will be my present to myself when I get the new crib...

SkiMask likes this.
  15. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

You find a sale for Memorial? What did you end up with? Break it in? Pics? I'm hungry.
    So are you sort of referring to like a "broaster" in this scenario? People up in these parts LOVE them some broasted chicken. Freaks about it, actually.
    Them cast grates are all the rage I've heard. I remember being pounded over the head with them "Man Grates" ads on podcasts years ago. People swear by that restaurant quality sear. You?
    A fitting gift for yourself. One that will serve you very well, I have no doubts especially with your culinary expertise and desire to create wholesome tasty food. I don't deserve one of those as I need to Webber myself a few years in order to feel like I've walked the path of experience first. Kinda like not buying a Ferrari and getting a Fiero instead. I gotta practice in one of them before I go all buck nutty on something killer like an egg.

And you poaching salmon with the dishwasher...SO legit. As a fellow dishwasher, I remember all SORTS of shenanigans working in the back. Some great memories for my 2nd job, first being a caterer for the same folks who eventually opened up a spot. Not old enough to drive, but getting a few c-notes every couple weeks to buy a fat sack was my jam. I used to wash the head cook's grates for nugs passed in the coolers so he could go lay the waitress of the week and duck out early.

A true cocksmith.

Drove a late '70's 280z too just fucking rad all the way around that guy.

Buchanans and JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz like this.
  16. JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz

always a good thing to have a job like that. i had a printing job where there was a lot of blow floating around after I got out of the navy. That was actually the job that made me finally decide to hang up my tooter.

Sous-Vide is different from broasted. Broasted chicken is SOOOOO good, but that's just really pressurized deep frying. Sous-Vide is what you see the fancy upscale gastro joints do when they put the meat in a vacuum sealed bag and cook it in water at a constant temperature. It's an odd way to cook, but it works, and the food tastes great.

[​IMG]

Edit: Absolutely NOTHING wrong with a Weber. They last and they get the job done.

SkiMask likes this.
  17. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

Funny, I was a racker in a silk screen shop in high school. Needless to say, one thing I know to be true are printers are some of the biggest drunks in the world. They almost have to be to do that work. All day sliding a bus banner under a screen and hitting a pedal, checking for bugs and sending in down the conveyor to heat or UV dry.

And that place was toxic as all fuck. I remember this KISS Ghoulie they had "washing" the screens with a gas mask and in a 3 walled concrete vault with a butchers apron and a car wash wand of cranked to 1.21 gigawatts of powered trichloroethylene blasting so hard against them as to aerosolize it all Legionnaires style about the place and to those who walked by to the breakroom. Dude had all the KISS dolls and shit.

Fucking KISS, never understood it. Man there should be a shitty jobs or your 1st job thread. Thanks for the memory!

18. Buchanans

Buchanans Breach Bandit

Like Junglist said it's just meat in a vacuum bag/ziploc slow cooked in hot water that remains at a consistent temperature. Supposedly you get a nice even cook throughout the meat edge to edge and it retains all the juices.

JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz likes this.
  19. dizee

dizee Crunchlord

I didnt get one yet, will use my charcoal one till I find one on sale that I like I guess.

20. JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz

HOw much are you looking to spend, Diz? I mean, obviously free would be the best, but seriously. Not sure if you have any Meijers by you, but they sell some decent grills for cheap. Also, not sure how big you are looking for, but Amazon has this one: I have this one and it's great!

https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Glo-DGB...qid=1496513966&sr=1-1&keywords=dyna+glo+grill

If you want to go bigger:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JTR83EK/ref=twister_B00JY8Z7OS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1