IGN Top 100 TV Shows

Discussion in 'Mindless Ramblings' started by xCaZx-, Jan 20, 2017.

1. xCaZx-

xCaZx- Socom Refugee

Thoughts on the list?

http://www.ign.com/lists/top-100-tv-shows/

A few notable shows that are missing from the list.

- The Walking Dead (I get some people like hating on this show, but cmon its basically been the biggest thing on cable for the past 4-5 years).
    - Dexter
    - Sons of Anarchy

There are also a few shows I think should be considered when talking about the Top 100.

- Halt and Catch Fire
    - Hell on Wheels
    - Mr Robot

I am sure there are others if I put a little thought into it. There are a few shows on their list that I cannot see belonging, especially when you are not including some I have listed here.

- Frasier - This show is flipping retarded
    - Friday Night Lights - I liked the show, but it in no way is better than TWD, Dexter, or SOA
    - David Letterman - Stupid, why are late night talk shows included in this list at all?

Oh and move the Office up, its a damn shame for it to be in the middle of this list.
  2. Smokey_Run

Smokey_Run Retired

Walking Dead is ass.

Some stuff in the 75-100 range I'd be moving up into the top 40, easily. There are some things in the top 20 that baffle me like fucking Lost at #8.
    JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz likes this.
  3. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD MVP

That list is so pants on head retarded I would need an hour to write up the ways. I have have no idea what metrics they used to make their choices but a good 80%+ of their choices are just objectively wrong.

"The Real World" being ranked 87 ahead of "Rome" and "Boardwalk Empire" immediately destroys the lists credibility. "The Real World" even being on the list does that actually.

A few notable screw ups:

The Shield 74, NYPD Blue 29. Laughable.
    MASH, the most watched sitcom of all time ranked 47
    Breaking Bad 4. BB is overrated pleb bait. Ranking it 4 is preposterous.
    Better Call Saul ranked anywhere on the list
    Ranking The Wire above The Sopranos. Thats like ranking a Cadillac ahead of a Rolls Royce. And anyone who doesnt know why that is, shouldnt be making a list of the best TV shows.

This list was pure ass.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    xCaZx- and SkiMask like this.
  4. JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz

JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz I Dream About Jade Marcela

I cannot take a list that doesn't place MASH in the top 10 seriously. Lost should NOT be anywhere near the top 10. Not saying it was a bad show, but as I went through that list I could not help but wonder why some shows were not placed higher, and why some were even on the list at all.

Frasier should be on there. You may find it retarded, and I understand why, but the show was immensely popular for a number of years. Just some great sitcoms that are not on this list that should be: Wings, Mr. Belvidere (took on social issues very early on, such as AIDS and aging), Night Court, the Jeffersons, and Family Guy also needs to be on the list. Love it or hate it, you cannot deny it's influence over the past 10 years.

I love that Justified made that list. Grossly underrated. @MACK IS GOD I know you have a hard on for Walton Goggins, he's in a new show called SIX, which is about SeAL Team 6. Saw the first 5 minutes yesterday and decided to record it.

Shows that did not deserve to be on there in the face of ones that did not make the cut: Friday Night Lights, Dr. Katz, Mr. Show, Avatar, Freaks and Geeks. Not saying they are bad shows, but again, a lot of better ones should have made the cut. If your are going to have anime on there, Dragonball Z NEEDS to be there. Hate it or not, it's better than Avatar for sure. If you're going to have crap like Freaks and Geeks on there and not a great show like Firefly, which had a short run as well, then you suck at watching TV.

Other shows that are not on there that should be: St. Elsewhere, LA Law, Miami Vice, Dallas, and Dynasty for sure. Mr. Robot should absolutely be on this list, though at the bottom due to its so far short time on the air. Smart writing and very thought provoking. Some shows on this list haven't even been on the air long enough AND are not that good to begin with.

This list is pure garbage. Some great shows on there, but no way the Wire should be number 1. No. Friggin. Way.
  5. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD MVP

Ranking The Wire as the best TV show ever is a meme. Its a great way for hipsters to show how "with it" they are because The Wire "tackles the issues facing the inner city community that people are afraid to talk about" blah, blah.

Its a GREAT show, but it is highly overrated by the media.

MASH absolutely should be top 10 on any list that expects to be taken seriously.

The problem with these lists is without knowing what criteria are being used for the rankings, its impossible to make an accurate assessment. Is it based on viewership and cultural impact? Or is it based purely on quality? Those lists would be very different.

I agree Frazier should be on any top 100 all time list. I never watched it much and Im not a fan of Kelsey Grammar, but it was a number one show for 5+ years in the 90s and had writing on par quality wise with Seinfeld. I didnt personally "like" the show, but I recognize its impact and quality.

That Six show with Goggins, what channel is that? Iveseen the ads for it, but I dont recall what channel thats on. Its gonna be hard hard to take seriously if they are going to stick with the narrative that Seal Team 6 killed Bin Laden and it was just a wacky coincidence that he was buried at sea the next day with no photos of the body and then ST6 were all killed in a helicopter that was shot down a couple months later.
  6. SGP421

SGP421 Night Stalker

Star Trek deep sleep 9 made the list? Lol

John Stewart show at 25? The guy is pathetic and not funny. Beavis and Butthead made more compelling political arguments and comedy than he ever did.

David Letterman WAS funny 30 years ago but ultimately turned into a bitter unfunny political hack
    MACK IS GOD likes this.
  7. JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz

Daily show WITH John Stewart needed to be on there too. It was influential as hell whether you found it funny or not. Just not at 25.

Remember when the Daily Show was hosted by Craig Kilborn? Man did his star crash and burn when he left ESPN.
  8. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD MVP

I dont consider every night talk shows as "TV shows" in the same vein as a weekly show with actors. I personally wouldnt include either Stewart or Letterman on a list of Best TV Shows. Regardless of any political positions they took. Stewarts show was certainly influential because he was just a mouthpiece for the Left packaged as "real" news. The amount of people my age who actually thought he was a legitimate news source was staggering. I can recall getting in discussions with people and they would cite him as a credible news source.

Fun fact, John Stewart went to the same High School as me. Of course he was John (((Leibowitz))) back then.
    SGP421 likes this.
  9. JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz

Six is on History, and of course they are sticking with that story. Let's not bring this discussion into a good thread made about this list. I like where this discussion is headed.

The show appears to be an overarching story. From the dialogue I caught before going to bed, it takes place after the Bin Laden raid. It looks very promising...

And yeah Stewart was definitely not credible news, but he brought comedic intelligence to his show. Personally I found him funny, as I did the Colbert Report, but didn't take either show as Holy Writ or truthful. I don't lean one way or another politically, and I'll leave it at that for the sake of this thread. I did, however, LOVE it when Stewart shredded Glenn Beck and Jim Cramer...
    SGP421 likes this.
  10. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD MVP

Comedy Central from 03-08 was pretty good television. Between their daily shows and Chappalles show, they had some quality entertainment.
  11. SGP421

SGP421 Night Stalker

Amazingly enough my brother seriously thinks that Stephen Colbert is a conservative because of his character on the John Stewart show. Needless to say my brother is completely ignorant politically.

And I agree it's influencial but 25 is absurd with some of the legitimate shows ranked below it. I just think John Stewart is a buffoon personally but that's just my opinion
    MACK IS GOD and JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz like this.
  12. JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz

Kids in the Hall and Strangers with Candy. Strangers took a minute to get into, but it got very funny if you gave it a chance. Chappelle's Show was golden and great for comedy/skit shows, like it or not.

He pulled that character off beautifully. Love when he had Bill Reilly on the Report. And let's be honest; Americone Dream was a great ice cream flavor.

Agreed on TDS...no way it should be 25th.
  13. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD MVP

Do we know when this list was made?

Another show that should be on the list is Black Sails. Absolutely fantastic show. The final season will be airing in February for anyone who wants to check it out and catch up on previous seasons.
  14. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD MVP

LOST from Season 1 through 4 was fantastic television, Seasons 1 and 2 especially. Had they maintained that level of quality I could see LOST in the top 20. But they went full retard in Season 5 and never looked back. It should still be Top 100, but in the bottom 50 somewhere.
  15. SGP421

SGP421 Night Stalker

I don't pretend to be an expert on TV shows. Hell I don't even watch TV much at all. The only thing I'll ever watch anymore are news and sports (football and hockey in particular). But I still realize that Family Guy should be on this list. Oh yeah and no 3 stooges? Lol
  16. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD MVP

Yea but WHICH 3 Stooges?
  17. JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz

Another show that should receive some consideration: Dream On. LOVED that show. Very smart writing and funny as HELL! One of the first premium cable channel comedy series that I can remember.
  18. SGP421

SGP421 Night Stalker

Any of the originals with Curly. The others like Shemp and Joe were not good. Although Shemp was tolerable somewhat
    JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz likes this.
  19. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD MVP

That is the correct answer! lol

Shemp gets a little too much hate I think. The replacement after him was unwatchable though. They would have been better off just calling it The 2 Stooges and rolled with Moe and Larry by themselves.
  20. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD MVP

Yes. Along with Arliss and The Larry Sanders Show.

One of the biggest disappointments in TV history was Luck getting cancelled in 2011. That was shaping up to be an all time great. Hoffman and Farina were phenomenal in that.

What the Hell happened to HBO? They used to be the gold standard for original programming. Now other than Game of Thrones they have nothing in the bullpen.