It's Back - TRS SOCOM Community Night

Discussion in 'SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs' started by Swill, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Swill

Swill Navy SEAL

What's up everyone!

Every Friday night at 11pm EST, we'll be hosting a TRS Community Night on SOCOM II via X-Link. Here are the details below:

When: Friday Nights
    Time: 11pm EST
    Game: SOCOM II

If you're looking to play some old school SOCOM online again, join on up with us and come play. In order to do so, you'll need to download and install X-Link, which you can figure out how to do by watching this video:

We hope to see as many of you there as possible. The more the better! If you can't join but want to watch, @Tawok will be streaming it live. You can catch the stream live here on TRS, or you can head over to Tawok's channel to catch the action.

https://www.twitch.tv/jptawok

If you have any questions about the Community Night, getting X-Link setup, or getting the map pack to work correctly, just ask in the thread and we'll help get you going.

See you in the game!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2017
  2. oni64

oni64 Warped Intoxicator

Thats the XBS-Link guide not xlink. Regardless, its said to crossplay with Xlink anyways. So choose which ever works for you.
    This is the Xlink video.

JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz and Swill like this.
  3. PRE_-CISION-_

PRE_-CISION-_ Banned for jumping on the mattress

Posted this as the headline on both of the socom communities on PS4. I encouraged anyone with general questions about xlink and it's setup to visit the site. So if any newcomers stop in, don't just lurk there are a ton of knowledgeable posters here who can help or just talk old school socom!

Tawok, JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz and Swill like this.
  4. Smokey_Run

Smokey_Run Retired

If anyone needs help, please ask for help. There will be eyes on this thread unlike the X-Link section.

Tawok, JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz and Swill like this.
  5. Swill

Swill Navy SEAL

Ill edit my OP. Thanks Oni.

6. everythingred

everythingred I once had fish tacos when I was drunk

I wish the community night was on Saturday instead, shit. Oh well.

7. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

Ya got me. I can't think of a better Father's Day present than to look around and find the materials to get this working. Unfortunately, I will most likely be out of town, but rest assured I will be at the next one. Will also stop by the stream if I can get internet up there. I will also be at the Friday Co-op stream and am looking forward to the TRS banter. Gonna be quite the experience.

Here's to hoping that setting up X-Link isn't really the pain ya'll make it out to be. Quick question, so would I hard wire my PS2 to my router, open ports, wifi from laptop to router, then play the game on the laptop? Or do most of you take it another step by connecting the laptop up to a TV? And of course sub laptop for PC if that is your case.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    Tawok and Drum like this.
  8. Drum

Drum Get to da chobba!

If your connection is wired, you run a cable from your router to your PS. If your connection is wireless, you run a cable from your PC to your PS.

SkiMask likes this.
  9. Tawok

Tawok The New Celerity

It's gotten a lot better over the years. You can run everything auto on PS2 network settings as opposed to sniffing out IPs via your MAC and all that bullshit so it's much smoother to get running. All of the guides except Celerity's are outdated, and his makes the mistake of telling you not to bridge if you run wireless.

I'd say a technically savvy guy could have grenade spam in their face within 30 minutes. Someone a bit less savvy might spend up to an hour with a buddy helping out. Like Smokey said above, if anyone has issues just post away or send one of us a PM and we can get you on your way. Just bring a big bag of patience and a willingness to reset your Ps2 several times before you finally make the connection.

Honestly the hardest thing most guys run into is finding all their shit in the attic/garage/storage. Luckily the ps2s are still pretty damn cheap on ebay.

/SS/ PEIPER and Drum like this.
  10. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

Good to know. So still unanswered, we play this on our laptop or PC, correct? If not, we have to take the extra step in connecting to our TV as a monitor? Correct?

Here is what I have on the matter and without hunting for a deal. I needed all 4 items.
    Capture.JPG summary.JPG

11. Tawok

Tawok The New Celerity

You'll still need a TV. The computer is only needed for running XLINK and directing your traffic, everything else is standard set up.

12. Devitalize-

Devitalize- Get good

My brother and I are most likely going to participate, we have hopped on before and it seems to be a lot of the same popular maps in the rotation. I would love to play... like every other map, haha. Even Socom CA would be sweet. Or will you guys be just doing the basic bitch Xroads, FF, DG, FH, ect. ect? Also, do you guys all get on Skype and chat? If so, that would be awesome as we don't have ps2 mics, and the game is way better with mics, obviously.

I know you said you didn't hunt for a deal, but I found the SOCOM games for $2.00 each at a local used game store. Also, PS2's with a memory card and controller are fairly cheap on Craigslist and pawn shops. I think you could spend half that money and get everything you need... Just looking out for you, man.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  13. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD VP of Toxicity

We've specifically discussed that very issue and playing a larger variety of maps is at the top of the list of what we would like to accomplish. Your opinion is in the majority of the guys trying to get this off the ground.

14. Smokey_Run

Smokey_Run Retired

Some of us will be on Skype. I don't have a USB mic that works with my PS2. As for the map rotation, I'm pretty sure there will be a good mix of maps.

15. Frosty_The_Swagman

Frosty_The_Swagman Night Stalker

I would, but that over laps with the NHL draft. Maybe next time.

16. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD VP of Toxicity

We understand.

trudeaucuck.jpg

17. Frosty_The_Swagman

Frosty_The_Swagman Night Stalker

It would be like asking you guys to game during the super bowl. ;P

18. Smokey_Run

Smokey_Run Retired

You don't have to be there right as it starts. I'm sure there will be some who leave as others are joining.

19. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

Can we get some promotion from this site? @Animal-_- What we got to do to get this twat blasted and possibly link the stream to the top section and whatnot? I see some H-Hour propaganda that could use some replacing...

Although, it wouldn't surprise me that this site isn't allowed to be updated because of some dealings with a shady studio in the past. Like they NDA'd the site!

Otherwise, why still all the H-Hour promotion?
    If you didn't know, I was referring to this section:
    Capture.JPG

20. Smokey_Run

Smokey_Run Retired

therealsocom.com directs to the forums now.

SkiMask likes this.