It's Back - TRS SOCOM Community Night

Discussion in 'SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs' started by Swill, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Swill

Swill Ninja SEAL

This is getting absurd.

You're trying to claim that the reason someone gets 15 kills a game and someone else gets 8 kills a game is a difference in genetics. That is so ridiculously flawed and arrogant it's laughable. Johnny doesn't get 7 more kills than Joey each map because his brain genetics are more superior. The margin of difference in brain genetics between average, normal people is so thin that the margin is often irrelevant. What makes the difference in performance is, as I said, almost exclusively emotional: Dealing with pressure, playing more relaxed, not being tense when in gun fights, etc. There are great SOCOM players who get 15 kills one map and then 5 the next. If brain genetics were the difference maker, than those players would put up 15-20 kills every single map, but no one does that. Lastly, doing well in SOCOM is also hugely influenced by luck. Many kills come from killing someone who doesn't see you or just being in the right place at the right time, while getting killed is often down to the exact same thing. Luck is an overwhelmingly huge element in SOCOM. You don't get 15 kills on a map because you're "genetically superior". You get 15 kills on a map because you're confident, not too tense when you shoot, and because you got lucky. That's you and every single player.

I've been an athlete my whole life and still am, so I'm good. Debating finger-speed SOCOM Leet's in my spare time is a fun side hobby. And, as I've said multiple times now, there's absolutely zero frustration or animosity involved. I'm thoroughly enjoying this unique debate, as I don't think this topic has every really been talked about before. Not to my knowledge at least.

2. Swill

Swill Ninja SEAL

Have you ever actually done this? It's pretty fun!

Champ likes this.
  3. WAR_PIG

WAR_PIG Foxhunt

You're just NOW saying this?!?!? That happened 9 pages ago... Hahaha!

[​IMG]

4. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD VP of Toxicity

this-is-where-keep-my-genetics.jpg

Drum, Swill, WAR_PIG and 1 other person like this.
  5. SocomKillah28

SocomKillah28 Boom Boolah!

I never said the be-all end-all determining factor is only genetics. ALL I'm saying is mental capacity plays a role just like in most other aspects of life, no matter what you do, video games, sports, etc. Someone's skill ceilings in all aspects in life have certain limitations and all people's ceilings are different.

Video games are miniscule and may be pointless (unless you make a living off competitive gaming) but it applies nonetheless.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  6. Swill

Swill Ninja SEAL

That's all well and true, but it's not significant enough to be the difference maker, meaning it's irrelevant to use as some kind of argument in a debate.

7. Swill

Swill Ninja SEAL

I think you misunderstand me. The debate itself is wonderful. It's an interesting topic. The reasoning he was trying to use and the argument he was making, that genetics is important enough of a difference when getting kills in SOCOM, is laughable, and absurd. Not the debate itself.

8. xSneak

xSneak Chopsticks

Code 9 is child's play compared to my dna.

SkiMask likes this.
  9. SocomKillah28

SocomKillah28 Boom Boolah!

I never said it is only for getting kills in SOCOM, but it surely applies for someone's potential "SOCOM IQ" if you will. I believe the scientific basis to "talent" would be genetics. In Socom, a talented player can reach a high level of play much faster than the rest of the pack and compute things in their mind at a higher level and faster rate than the average player.

You either believe talent exists or you don't, if someone can be talented in sports then talent can exist in other areas too. I don't specify only to Socom because I believe a talented Socom player can pick up any video game and very likely become good at it faster than the average Joe.

10. MACK IS GOD

I hate that I am joining in this, but I just have to echo what you are saying.

I dont know what the initial argument or disagreement was, but if the point that is being argued is that there is not a cognitive advantage to smarter and more intelligent people when playing or performing any task that requires mental acuity, then I have to wholeheartedly agree with your position.

Its an unfortunate fact in this world that some people just suck at life and some people are successful at life. And the common denominator in this regard is genetics. Smarter people are better at shit than people who arent as smart as them. Its pretty obvious. The biological advantages that allow genetically superior people to excel in other areas of life would also apply to a video game. Its just another area of competition where the Alphas are separated from the Betas.

I didnt play Socom for more than 10 years........

And immediately upon my return, I won not one, but TWO MVPs in back to back weeks.

Now obviously my skills had eroded over such a long period of time. So the only thing that allowed me to still dominate the field the way I did was my superior stock. Its just something people are going to have to come to grips with. There are levels in society. Just be comfortable with the level you are on based on your ability.

Im like the Ivan Drago of Socom and all the other players are a bunch of Apollo's.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  11. Tawok

Tawok has left the building

Top notch contribution.

12. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

Did you go there? I was sort of baffled yet again and it's hard for me to be confused. So was that just a page to showcase they're still playing it somewhere? Just looked like a gross sabermetrics page for a game from long lost. I dunno. If they are still playing it, I hope they fixed the explosive weaponry.

13. Swill

Swill Ninja SEAL

The argument wasn't whether or not people can have different genetics that provide different advantages over others. They obviously can. The argument was whether or not genetics, in the context of SOCOM, is significant enough of a difference to use as an argument to claim that that's what makes the biggest difference between someone getting 5 kills versus 15 kills.

It's most definitely not.

14. Swill

Swill Ninja SEAL

Talent doesn't exist. Again, no one is born naturally good at something. As humans, we're all born with a relatively equal footing (Except in extreme cases such as the mentally handicapped or Sevants). Top level competitors become top level competitors because of the time, effort, work-rate, commitment, and sacrifices they make to refine their skills at their craft. Even Conor McGregor, one of the best fighters in the world, agrees:

"There’s no talent here, this is hard work. This is an obsession. Talent does not exist, we are all equal as human beings. You could be anyone if you put in the time. You will reach the top, and that is that. I am not talented, I am obsessed."

As someone who works with professional competitors all over the world on a weekly basis for a living, I can tell you with 100% absolute certainty that this is true.

So, again. Yes, people can be born with slight advantages in terms of genetic advantages, whether they be mental or physical. However, unless it's an extreme case, those genetic advantages aren't what make the most significant difference between people. What makes the difference is things that anyone can do: Repetition, work, commitment, sacrifice, and a slew of other skills that anyone can apply. SOCOM is no different.

15. MACK IS GOD

I disagree. Prior to winning MVP in my first game back after a more than 10 year absense, I hadnt played Socom at all.

The only possible explanation for me dominating the other players and outshining everone else so much that I was able to win MVP in my very first game back is my superior genetics. Im just from better stock.

Just like the peasants who worked the fields for their royal masters before us, everyone must know their place........

16. Swill

Swill Ninja SEAL

I'm willing to guarantee that, if you play tonight, you won't get MVP on any map that isn't a Breach map lol.

SkiMask and WAR_PIG like this.
  17. MACK IS GOD

You could put in all the time and effort you want and you wont become Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, etc etc. Hell, someone could put in all the time and effort in the world and they wouldnt make the fucking team on a college squad.

You cant put in enough "practice" and become Da Vinci, Mozart, Bach, Michaelangelo, and on and on. Those people had an amazing talent that they were born with.

18. MACK IS GOD

Challenge accepted!

And WHEN I do win MVP on a non breach map, you must then change your signature to "Mack has superior genetics".

SkiMask likes this.
  19. Swill

Swill Ninja SEAL

Don't forget that Michael Jordan wasn't even good enough to make his high school team. Again, you're simply wrong.

Naming Da Vinci, Mozart, Bach, and Michaelangelo is a terrible example because I already said that you can't count extreme examples. Again, I didn't say that people can't be born with mental/physical genetic advantages over others. I said that, outside of extreme examples, the overwhelming majority of people are born on a relatively equal footing and the genetic differences between people is minimal and non-significant.

WAR_PIG likes this.