New Forum Design

Discussion in 'SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs' started by TOMBSTONE4U, May 16, 2017.

1. TOMBSTONE4U

TOMBSTONE4U Ninja SEAL

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions, requests?

Edit: Just to make it clear, as War said in the comments this is not the "final product". They are just giving us the base model of the new forum layout for feedback. Once that is right and the format is set in a way everyone is happy with, then they can roll out the side bells and whistles like the streaming, social media links, etc.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Eagle_F15, SweeTooth, Tawok and 2 others like this.
  2. PAUL-AWOL-

PAUL-AWOL- Desert Glory

Give the forum a darker background.. Would set it off I think..

Tawok likes this.
  3. JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz

JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz Pizza Shitposting CIO

Me likey. Has a familiar vibe to it. Like the modernization and I am looking forward to the future plans...

Edit: Not to nitpick, but why are there two links to home? A house and the word. Also, there is a rather large gap between the top of the page and where the top of the viewbox starts. I know things are ongoing (WIP), so I'm not concerned. Just pointing things out is all. Definitely enjoy the new vizziew!

4. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

• Put the links to the social media under our names back please.
    • Please also add the ability to embed media from Twitch if possible.
    • I like the green corner dog-eared to denote a user being online or logged in.
    • I like the new posts on the right panel idea, but would like to see it link to the event and also would scratch the entire "profile posts" prime real estate for something more befitting an area such as that.
    • The system also does not inform you WHY you can't attach something when you are logged out, but actually haven't left the page. Update the error message if possible.
    • Refer to the "old site" and it's media hub for reference and not the site iteration immediately previous, but when this site included actual content and publications (2014?). Them "stories" and media cycled at the top and I think this place might need that bit of an "overlay" instead of splashing right on forums.
    • SOCOM is spelled in all caps: SOCOM: U.S. NAVY SEALs. Please update the depiction of your results as Google showcases all sort of whack ass shit. 4 year old threads anyone? Little things like taxonomies are important to the external appearance, IMO.
    I have plenty of more suggestions, but want to address this GLARINGLY OBVIOUS problem that makes it SEEM like the site and TRS as a whole doesn't give a shit about its users.

Sure, create a thread to ask for suggestions but for fucks sake remember the absolute basics and ideas that have been pointed out months ago. Some might be slow to offer feedback when you haven't had "Forums" spelled correctly forever. Same with the security. SAYS A TON ABOUT YOU and the leadership or lack thereof here.

I would address these two issues first before ANYTHING else. Seriously! You gonna let Mozilla talk all that SHIT or are you gonna FINALLY fix it?!?
    Capture.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    There. I provided feedback now for obvious incoming...

What an asshole.™

5. HTK

HTK nos·tal·gia

Harder to read the posts...

6. Animal-_-

Animal-_- TRS Staff

That is one part of the upcoming phases of the redesign, we plan to get the site back to the way it was as you describe it. Articles, videos, streams, podcasts, etc. will all have sections independent of, but also linked to associated forum discussions. I look forward to saying "Now witness the power of this fully armed and operational website!"
    The site is not insecure if your password is secure. That alert is misleading as it simply refers to the absence of HTTPS encryption. We are going to add that in during this whole process. No one is going to hack the site or your account because it's missing that at the moment.

SkiMask and WAR_PIG like this.
  7. TOMBSTONE4U

TOMBSTONE4U Ninja SEAL

I just made the thread dude as I was curious what people's first impressions were to compare to mine or things I might have missed that others noticed. As for the "new forum" from what I understand it doesn't end here. This is the basic layout of the forum which will be done in phases. It's not going to lose streaming abilities and such, all that will be there in the final presentation. The "impressions" is more about what's here now as the base menus and navigation. Understand to that with people making accusations that no one was doing anything to improve the site, it may have helped prompt some changes earlier then some would have liked to kind of demonstrate that just because you weren't seeing the work going on doesn't mean it wasn't happening behind the scenes.

JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz likes this.
  8. Animal-_-

Animal-_- TRS Staff

Why is that? Is it a color issue or is it the font?

9. CoolDawg

CoolDawg #3l173m4573r

I think its great granted ive only been registered for a short time ive been here lerking long enough to say this is a good step forward.

10. PRE_-CISION-_

PRE_-CISION-_ Banned for jumping on the mattress

Take off the top header bar that scrolls with posts on mobile. My screen is small enough as is without a constant trs drop down bar following me

11. everythingred

everythingred I once had fish tacos when I was drunk

I'm not digging how the posts are separated. Makes it harder to read.

12. Animal-_-

Animal-_- TRS Staff

Do you mean with just the thin line?

13. Tawok

Tawok has left the building

Yeah the fixed navbar is causing issues for me on both mobile and desktop. On mobile, it uses too much real estate. On desktop, it covers part of (if not the whole) post when you jump into it.

JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz likes this.
  14. Smokey_Run

Smokey_Run Retired

Static menu bar on desktop takes up a fair bit of real estate too. I zoomed out to try to course correct the problem.

WAR_PIG and JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz like this.
  15. everythingred

everythingred I once had fish tacos when I was drunk

Yes. It just doesn't make it feel like each is an individual post. And once people's signature banners get involved, it gets messy.

16. WAR_PIG

WAR_PIG Foxhunt

Nothing to add yet. Still mulling around. Like you already know, don't worry about that SSL cert. You are totally fine. I have never had any alerts of the site not being secure. Simple SSL cert will make that go away if anyone is actually getting that.

Looks good so far.

17. TOMBSTONE4U

TOMBSTONE4U Ninja SEAL

One thing I think that might clear up the reading of the posts and separation is maybe if either the blue separation lines or the "like's bar" were made a different color to contrast a little bit? And maybe when a post is made the beginning line starts maybe one line down to put a tad bit more space between the posts? Or maybe a simple color scheme where every other post is not necessarily a different color but a slightly different shade maybe to make one post stand out from the next? I don't know if these things would help, if they would be easy to do, or if it would be as aesthetically nice in appearance as it is now but I'm just throwing around some ideas and anyone else can chime in if they think there is an easier of simpler enhancement that could be made.

It might be nice to if when typing up your post it matched the color of the actual submitted post cause I find when I look at what I am typing to proof read I have to lean in to look at the screen closer sometimes depending on the lighting in the room cause the posting box is still that gray font that blends into the background a little bit.

18. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

Totally agree except it IS UNSECURED and some of us cannot view UNSECURED websites without doing a work around and ARE being hit over the head with alerts DAILY. If it IS something as simple as a "cert" (we all know its because host gator is cert domain name and not TRS as that is the site name) but then I ask again: Why hasn't it been fixed if it's so easy and I brought it up 6+ months ago? Again, speaks to leadership. I am not trying to argue, but we DO have self professed "Hackers" visiting the site as evidenced by the Server Revival Thread so there is that and well...

The site was also hacked as we all know.
    I just made the post DUDE because it was asked for just after implementation. I assumed you answered their call.

My impression is that the site needs a lot of work. Hopefully some of it can be contracted out and paid via advertising revenue and the certification can be updated to reflect a secured site and allow for more access and then the word forum can be updated immediately as well as the various links put forth with inconsistent schema.

Constructive and critical feedback was asked for so if this was just an impressions thread then please direct me to the "Feedback Thread" so Animal may dump this there as requested. Thank you and have a nice day.

19. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Butterstick

Looks better than before, but could be better. Here's my suggestion:

[​IMG]

20. Animal-_-

Animal-_- TRS Staff

I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than it really is. I never said it was easy or hard and the person you speak of that "hacked" the site did it from the admin access he was given which you already know, so he didn't "hack" the site in the way you seem to be unnecessarily worried about. We are working on many different things and like I said that is one of them.

WAR_PIG likes this.