Prediction ...

Discussion in 'Mindless Ramblings' started by WAR_PIG, Mar 20, 2017.

1. WAR_PIG

WAR_PIG Code 9

Ghost In The Shell is going to be badass! I can't wait for this one.

2. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD VP of Toxicity

Prediction: A bunch of tears and complaining about having the story with a white female lead which will go almost completely unreported by the media since Asians are only one step above Whites on the crybaby victim ladder.

Interesting article about the profit sharing on the movie in China.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ing-takes-stake-paramounts-ghost-shell-987261

That could turn out to be a brilliant move, or a disastrous one depending on how well the film does in China.

3. RaidenXS

RaidenXS Chopsticks

and the results are...?

4. WAR_PIG

WAR_PIG Code 9

Meh.... it was okay. Nothing earth shattering like I thought. I was wrong. :(

5. RaidenXS

RaidenXS Chopsticks

Was the story just shit? Normally, I would assume liberal insertion of forced ideals would be the reason art fails (this would be having a female lead) but looking at WW I'm not too sure. Might be Scar Jo. She's set to star in the "female version of the Hangover" forgot what it's called (Rough Night?) but I see that flopping, too.

6. WAR_PIG

WAR_PIG Code 9

Well, you assumption has nothing to do with it and challenge that 1900s thinking.

It only had the issue that happens a lot in Hollywood with them fluffing it up and making it bland and boring instead of sticking to the original.

7. MACK IS GOD

I no longer believe the box office results that are reported are legitimate.

And I absolutely guarantee the WW numbers are total bullshit.

Its insane that despite people now having media devices in the palm of their hands and every other form of real life retail industry (Shopping Malls, huge department stores, chain retailers) suffering huge losses and closings, somehow movies are now making 5x as much money (even adjusted for inflation) at the box office as they were 25 years ago. Its simply not possible.

People now have access to giant TVs so cheap that people living on welfare can afford 60 inch televisions and theatre systems and watch these movies in the comfort of their own home.

Hollywood is going apeshit and doing everything in their power to shut down torrenting sites, up to and including lobbying the US government and trying to get the TPP enacted in order to stop it, yet they are supposed to be making such insane money at the box office?

Doesnt add up.

8. RaidenXS

RaidenXS Chopsticks

I think you're misinterpreting my argument. It's more generally any agenda injected into art by force regardless of the original story's creative direction (see David Sears's presentation Machiavelli, the Marquis de Sade, and I). Not necessarily "1900's thinking". But sounds like your statement answers my first question.

There's still demand for going to a theater. The environment itself is enjoyable. It isn't all about cutting a budget and watching a stream. Some people don't even know how to watch a streamed version or are afraid to.

9. MACK IS GOD

Sure there is still demand, but I refuse to believe there is MORE demand to go to the theatre than there was in 1977 when the only thing to do was go to the theatre or watch one of the 3 channels on TV. Yet somehow meh level movies are consistently now making the same or more money at the box office than Star Wars?

Even though people are preoccupied with a million others things and have instant access to entertainment of every type within seconds?

I just dont buy it. Theres no doubt in my mind the numbers are being manipulated.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  10. WAR_PIG

WAR_PIG Code 9

Yeah, maybe I did. Felt like saying liberal arts was a bad thing. Female leads are great and thought was appropriate for this film.

11. MACK IS GOD

To answer the question:

gits.PNG

And China specifically:

gits china.PNG

It made 60M over its production budget, but a 40M dollar domestic gross cant be considered anything other than a flop on a 110M budget.

WAR_PIG likes this.