Project Confrontation

Discussion in 'SOCOM Indie Projects' started by Eagle_F15, May 19, 2017.

1. MR.BLONDE

MR.BLONDE HE STINKS AND I DON'T LIKE HIM

I think indie projects have the potential to see some measure of success as long as expectations are metered in accordance with the small team aspect that you mentioned.

As far as point 1 is concerned, while I agree that these projects can only ever imitate the original SOCOMs and not emulate them, we've seen already that the people responsible for those games can produce games even more off course than what we've seen for indie efforts thus far. At this point, barring a sudden change of heart from SONY or some crucial evidence that a new SOCOM would be profitable that SONY would accept, the only chance at a fresh experience in the spirit of SOCOM is through indie games.

2. We've seen development costs for AAA games shoot up in recent years due to technological advances and a stronger focus on graphical and presentation power, this is true. Keep in mind, however, that SOCOM, even for its time, was kind of barebones as far as presentation, with a meager storyline, few cutscenes, and little attention to graphical perfection. This is not to say SOCOM 2 had bad graphics or a bad storyline, they just took a backseat to raw gameplay mechanics and such. I think that an indie game in the style of SOCOM can leverage this focus to maximize their time and resources and focus on producing a tactical shooter first, and the bells and whistles later. However, I have to plead ignorance on this one as I have no development or business experience, and cannot speak with authority, this is just my intuition I suppose.

3. I've heard a lot of people frustrated with their experience with this generation of consoles, many of them from this community, and I think we may see a spike in SOCOMers making the jump to PC sooner or later, myself included. The tactical shooter genre has historically been more popular on the PC platform with games like SWAT, Rainbow Six, etc. having more polished and active games on PC. It's just a more permissive platform for that kind of game. I agree though that PC is unfortunately a dry well for SOCOM fans, as a significant portion of them have probably either stuck to consoles or stopped gaming altogether.

I don't think the problem with the slew of SOCOM fan projects we've seen recently is inherent in them being indie games, however. This is an explosive time for the indie games market, and I think a budget shooter in the style of SOCOM could sell quite well on PSN if given the chance.

Tawok likes this.
  2. wildeye

wildeye German proxy

I think the biggest problem is that all these Socom indie projects aren't open source.
    Another major problem is that game development and collaboration aren't going hand in hand.

So whenever somebody has enough time and passion to start something new...after a few months production will be stopped and the files will sit on that person's hard disk. So the next guy who jumps in and wants to start something big has to do all these shitty first steps again.

Just imagine how far we could be if every project until now would be open source.
    But unfortunately we have about 10 cancelled projects with about 6 months development time. That could be 10x6months=5 years development time (not counting H-Hour here). Wouldn't be a bad game if you ask me.

From until now, if somebody tells us he will start a new project.....fuck you until you release the source code starting from day 1. We have seen enough ego shows. Put the files in the community's hands or gtf out of here.

ChemoFreak7, Tawok, iDeaL and 2 others like this.
  3. PAUL-AWOL-

PAUL-AWOL- Desert Glory

4. CoolDawg

CoolDawg #3l173m4573r

Its over yall. Xlink and disconnecting orbital 4 lyfe.

Tawok, Bigfry and ChicKeN like this.
  5. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

Normally we don't get the boot that much. Last night was odd. Still though, SOCrack, eh?

6. RaidenXS

RaidenXS Demolition Junkie

Saw this coming a mile away. Ever since Eagle left HHour's forums, you could tell he was gonna be burnt up in any project. The only future advice I have is just enjoy it as a fan. Don't get so caught up in the drama.

7. Almericus

Almericus Bullshit proof warrior

Yet another drama. Another wasted effort.

8. CoolDawg

CoolDawg #3l173m4573r

Yeah I'm actually doing better at maintaining a good connection. This game is crack for real I make I do art and making a game so when Im dead I'm working, it's so efficient.

Edit: Xlink just disconnected.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    SkiMask likes this.
  9. Eagle_F15

Eagle_F15 Fish Market Janitor

What drama?

CoolDawg and RaidenXS like this.
  10. everythingred

everythingred I once had fish tacos when I was drunk

Oh man that made me sad.

Tawok and HarryDanglers like this.
  11. eVo7

eVo7 Vicious Provacateur

This is the most pathetic and sad shit I've ever seen/heard.

12. Eagle_F15

Yes its sad. I know what the guy is going through, and if I know the SOCOM community we will back him once again.

As long as he comes back with the passion he had 6 months ago and just works he has a hell of a game in the making...

HarryDanglers likes this.
  13. oni64

oni64 Third Person illusionist

If I was him, I would just quit and take up web design, or something similar. I was for the Socom indie titles for a long time to finally see that working on a Socom like project triggers some sort of mental episode. This is even more escalated when attention and praise is given. There is usually a grace period before a meltdown can occur.

14. RaidenXS

RaidenXS Demolition Junkie

If I was him, I would just help HHour out. Or maybe even be a fan or tester. Way less pressure on that last one.

15. Eagle_F15

To talented to quit.

But, if the pressure is too much then maybe the lead programmer isn't for him, maybe help another project or just assemble a great Dev team right out the gate and a better plan coming into his return to accomplish what he first visioned. Once he is back on his feet and in a good place I hope he gives it a go again and knocks this out!

My message to Sour was, take his time off, come back under the radar, develop Project C to a playable 8v8 Status. No devblogs, no tweets, no podcast, no deadlines, just develop!

The game at this point will have to speak for itself.

HarryDanglers and MR.BLONDE like this.
  16. MR.BLONDE

MR.BLONDE HE STINKS AND I DON'T LIKE HIM

Glad to hear. Understandably, people are assuming this means the project is dead in the water, but it's really only on hiatus at this point, no?

17. Eagle_F15

He hasn't been on since that dreadful night, but he did say he would have small updates here and there, so that tells me its not dead. At this very moment it is, lol, until I see a update or until I hear from him, let's see how this plays out!

MR.BLONDE and HarryDanglers like this.
  18. xSneak

xSneak Chopsticks

From day one this was never going to progress past the hobbyist stage. Pretending this is going to be a standalone game available on steam is a waste of time.

dizee likes this.
  19. Eagle_F15

Remember a very bare bones type game in HHOUR on its EA release on steam? Anything Is possible!

20. xSneak

xSneak Chopsticks

Don't play dumb with me. H-Hour had 252k on kickstarter and commercial business loans to fund work on the game. They also were legally structured to release a game on the steam marketplace.
    Your project is just made by volunteers in their spare time.