Proximity Chat Yay or Nay ?

Discussion in 'SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs' started by icEdeMoN_EliTe., Jun 21, 2013.

?

Proximity Chat Yay or Nay ?

Poll closed Jan 21, 2014.
  1. Yes I want proximity chat in the game.

29 vote(s)
    60.4%
  2. No thank you, no proximity chat.

19 vote(s)
    39.6%
  1. icEdeMoN_EliTe.

icEdeMoN_EliTe. Quickscoper

What will it be folks?

2. TOMBSTONE4U

TOMBSTONE4U Ninja SEAL

I vote no but I wouldn't count this as one of my "deal breaker" features. Just a minor annoyance that might cause me to turn off the mic at times and not bother with the communication element.

XPSYCHOPATH410X and BiG-LUCK like this.
  3. Do_Us_Harm

Do_Us_Harm Green Up

I like proximity chat. As a run and gunner, it would be a useful feature at times when the "camper" has a whiney child in the background, or they coughed, sneezed, wheezed, farted, whatever! It helped just enough to locate the approximate area they were hiding. I have no issues with proxy chat.

4. McNoob

McNoob Animal Doctor

I like it solely so I can trash talk with nearby enemy players.

5. Dirty_Walter

Dirty_Walter Requiem

Nope, just not fan of prox chat...

Drum likes this.
  6. icEdeMoN_EliTe.

icEdeMoN_EliTe. Quickscoper

I voted yes but as tomb said not a make or break feature for me. I just like it. Adds a little realism to the game for me. As long as you don't have any screaming kid or loud music in the background you should be ok.

7. SNIPERofDEATH

SNIPERofDEATH Strafe Artist

I loved it and want it. I used to fool around and have fun with people by yelling all serious like "DROP YOUR WEAPONS and come out with your hands up!" or " We need backup, we have a camper in coke room. Roger." lol Shit like that was really fun. I thought those who were noisy deserved to die lol. It was good to if you had a team mate near you and you had to quickly call something out while the mic is being used. I think there is more pros than cons for it.

8. Drum

Drum Get to da chobba!

No proximity-chat is a no-brainer if the goal is to have the major elements of SOCRACK. Tombstone wrote extensively and persuasively on this topic over at SOFs. The only pro-proximity argument that earned my nod came from Viper, thus: it could be useful among teammates only. But if it's a choice between all-out implementation and no implementation, the latter is duh.

Xx_ICE-PICK_xX likes this.
  9. Drum

Drum Get to da chobba!

Et tu, Snipé?
    o_O

10. BiG-LUCK

BiG-LUCK Crucible

Nope, it's a cool feature I will say but I don't like it.

11. TOMBSTONE4U

TOMBSTONE4U Ninja SEAL

Let's be real here, this should be a feature that could be toggled on or off. So long as they have the option to turn off proxy chat I don't mind just rolling in UCRR and leaving he pubby rooms alone. I mean if there is going to be options to turn things on and off in UCRR proxy chat would seem to be less complicated to turn on or off then other features. I think having both options is the best course of action for this feature because it does seem to be pretty 50/50. If it's off be default I'll use their public rooms and if it's on by default I'll just make my own rooms, no biggie.

XTREME-WARFARE likes this.
  12. BiG-LUCK

BiG-LUCK Crucible

Yeah, I can agree on an option on/off. That should be in the poll actually.

13. VOODOO

VOODOO P.T.F.O.

I can't imagine too may people would still use in-game chat anyway. It isn't 2003 anymore. Certainly it would be a huge advantage to use Teamspeak, the PS4's crossgame chat or even Skype (if you don't mind the NSA listening). If you're using in-game chat you're putting yourself at a disadvantage whether David puts proximity chat in the game or not.

BiG-LUCK and TOMBSTONE4U like this.
  14. TOMBSTONE4U

TOMBSTONE4U Ninja SEAL

Heck voodoo, even back in 2003 many clans were on messenger and kept chatting while dead anyways lol. I sometimes feel like they should just say to hell with dead room and live room and just keep the people connected since few are going to play it by the rules anyways. They should just heavily limit what you can see when killed on your dead body to limit how much info the dead can pass on.

15. SNIPERofDEATH

SNIPERofDEATH Strafe Artist

Yea but remember, we are not always playing with our clan. I like to play with randoms and make new friends here and there. So we do need to figure out the chat system. When I am with my clan, then yea we use other means if we need to

16. VOODOO

VOODOO P.T.F.O.

That's going to be key to make it work the way it used to, because the days of being "alone" when you're the last one left are long gone. I really hate to see that part of the game not be able to replicated.

And even if what the dead see is limited, it will be boring as hell spectating for 5 minutes looking at your own dead body... if that's what's done to combat the fact that communication is so much more open nowadays.

17. Smokey_Run

Smokey_Run Retired 2011-2017

Nope. It doesn't add anything to the game IMO. You should be free to talk with your teammates about strategy without the chance of being punished. It was just used to shit talk the other team and that was it. It served no actual purpose IMO.

PAUL-AWOL- likes this.
  18. LUKENBACHER

LUKENBACHER Retired Co-Founder & Co-Owner

I disagree. Even if all clan wars are managed automatically in-game, the need to have a mic available is just something that I think is imperative to a SOCOM style of game and here's why:

You roll in 1-2 deep with a few clan members to a pubby. You have 5 strangers as teammates that are not on your friends list for crosschat, you do not have them as Skype contacts, and they have never heard of Teamspeak. How do you play SOCOM with them with no in-game chat options? Would everyone want to add friends, or goto recently met gamers to add everyone on their side to a cross-chat channel? That sounds annoying every map/room and unlikely to happen. We all know how it is to roll into a room and 4 members of another clan on your side all have their mics turned off, doing their own thing. It just kills the teamwork and creates isolation within the room. Would we want the entire SOCOM servers filled with little clicks and clans that never talk to one another? No conversations with strangers and meeting new people while we dead waiting for the last guy to clutch the round? What about talking to the other side? Needing to vote someone out, maybe have some players that need to switch sides but the room is full? (bounce out, bounce back in) All the great shit talking pre & post game/war.

If you are just talking about clan wars, then sure. Cross chat will be the way to go. But not everyone spends every minute of their SOCOM hours in clan wars. A large portion of the community plays pubbies to warm up, waits for everyone to get online, catch a few hours of fun, then maybe finish the night off with a couple of wars. How would clans recruit and feel out new members? Just theoretically speaking, if you were to remove in-game mics on H-Hour, how do you think that would effect the community and how they interact as a whole?

jester1234, VR-4- and Drum like this.
  19. Drum

Drum Get to da chobba!

Yes. The toggling option may be the ideal answer to this dilemma. But at what point will the toggled features begin inhibiting the developers or decimating the online player-pool? That's one of the big questions in regards to the controversial features.

UnSeenDeath88 likes this.
  20. chickenwang

chickenwang Night Stalker

My thoughts exactly.

Drum likes this.