PS4 Internal HDD

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by RaidenXS, Jun 16, 2017.

1. RaidenXS

RaidenXS Demolition Junkie

Is there a GB size max a PS4 doesn't recognize beyond? Can the PS4 use any HDD at and speed higher that 5400? Or does it only work with 5400? Does any SATA HDD work? Or only a SATA II? I do know 2.5 is a dimensional physical limit.

I'm no tech-spert so it all just confuses me.

2. dizee

dizee Lucille is thirsty

you can use ssd's if you are willing to invest that much money into it. i wouldnt use anything less than a sata ii and the drive wont benefit from sata iii so really no point in putting 1 in there.

what i did was get a external 2tb hdd, crack it open and put it in the ps4, then put the 500gb back in the external casing and got a 500gb hdd from it

3. RaidenXS

Is 2 TB the highest a PS4 can go internally? Every tutorial or video I've seen only use the 2 TB.

4. dizee

dizee Lucille is thirsty

im not sure really, 2tb was the most affordable when i did it in 2014 or 2015. i think the limit is 4tb.

you can actually use external HDDs now too with one of the most recent firmware updates if you dont mind having it attached to your console via USB. i dont do this but it is a option.

SkiMask likes this.
  5. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

Laptop drive 2.5" 5400 2TB is what you'll end up with. Seagate. I have been clipping and doing all sorts of recording, buying some games digitally and I have only used 1TB and I haven't deleted anything.

You should be just fine.

I did the 7200 or 7400 with the PS3 but it wasn't like my transfer speed or write was anything noticeable.

6. S_L_I_C_K

S_L_I_C_K eSEAL

i bought a 1 tb for mine 2 years ago, they were saying back then that the ps4 was having issues with the 2 tb hard drives so thats why i went with the 1tb. this past xmas i bought a 2tb for a friend of mine and she hasnt had any problems with it. this is the one i got her. (it went down in price by like $30 since then btw)
    i think 2 tb is the biggest internal hdd you can use but with the newest firmware you can now use up to an 8tb external hdd.

7. RaidenXS

Yea alot of people have been only upgrading to 2TB only. So weird it's not clarified. 2TB's should be good enough, I guess.

8. S_L_I_C_K

S_L_I_C_K eSEAL

my 1tb is to small, i know that for sure. this past weekend i ordered a 2 tb external so hopefully i am good to go now. 3 tb should be PLENTY of space.

9. RaidenXS

But that's the thing. I can't find anyone confirming over 2TB :/ otherwise i would go to 4TB

10. S_L_I_C_K

S_L_I_C_K eSEAL

if i was you i would just go with the 2 tb, at least you know they work with the ps4, if you need more space down the road just get an external when the time comes.

11. eVo7

eVo7 Vicious Provacateur

You can certainly go bigger than 2TB. However it wont be with a 2.5in mechanical HDD as they max out at 2TB.

Youll either need a SSD or use a Nyko Data Bank which then gives you the ability to run a 3.5in drive.

12. RaidenXS

I see it is a physical limitation. Makes complete sense now, thanks! I'll just go 2TB.

I also found a guy for anyone OK with external hard drives.
    https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/69429669