Setting up PCSX2 to work with Xlink Kai

Discussion in 'SOCOM On XLink' started by 1UP, Aug 8, 2017.

1. =Ronin=

=Ronin= The Captain of Makin' it Happen

Here is a good guide for setting up scptoolkit with a Dualshock 3.
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-connect-a-ps3-controller-to-a-pc/

I've been using this program for a few years now and have never had any issues with it. After everything is setup it should be as easy as pressing the "middle" button on the DS3 to turn it on and to turn it off hold the middle button, L1 and R1 at the same time.

A couple things I've noticed:

As far as I know if you want to connect a Dualshock 3 wirelessly via bluetooth you have to dedicate the bluetooth dongle you are using solely for that.
    Be aware that not all dongles are supported though. You can check if your dongle is supported here https://github.com/nefarius/ScpToolkit/wiki/Compatible-Bluetooth-Devices . If yours Isn't on the list try anyways, it might just not be listed.
    I don't think you need a dedicated dongle if using a Dualshock 4.

Your Dualshock 3 will show up on your pc as an Xbox 360 controller, this is normal.

Once installed I never have to run anything to get it to work again. You should be able to restart your pc and once logged back into windows press the middle button and it should turn right back on synced up still.

The only thing I have running is ScpServer, if I click on it to expand, SCP DSx Service is also running within it. It's always running as a background process in task manager.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  2. dizee

dizee Lucille is thirsty

After tweaking some settings, I think we ironed out the FPS issues. Cant test it right now because xlink is down. Bad thing is that for whatever reason, the patched ISO is not booting up with these tweaks. Not a big deal though because you can still just use the vanilla S2 iso and boot the patch by running as a ELF file.

Which brings me to my new problem. I cant get Harry's patch working with the vanilla ISO still. I switched to plugin mode, still no luck. It boots me to the PS2 memory card screen where you can select your memory card every time.

3. 1UP

1UP The BETTER Socom on PC Guy

It has nothing to do with the tweaks.

4. dizee

dizee Lucille is thirsty

Also a thing is that none of the text when I boot up with no disc selected shows up. all I see is a few of the button icons, no text is popping up.

edit: disabling speedhacks fixed this issue

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  5. XtErmin8

XtErmin8 Rah-he-lah!

That older version caused my pcsx2 to crash and it wouldn't allow me to map my buttons. This one works perfectly!

SkiMask likes this.
  6. 1UP

Interesting. Thanks for the information.

7. Harry62

Harry62 hacker

@everyone who wants to follow this tutorial

It took me about 10 minutes start to finish(excluding the controller setup as I have a controller setup already).

My specs:
    i7-4790K
    GTX 970
    16GB DDR3 RAM

Issue I had:
    - Frame skipping/tearing.
    - Pcsx2 was reading 60fps although it looked more like 10-15fps.

Solution to frame skipping:
    - Set EE cyclerate back to 0
    - Set VU cycle stealing back to 0
    - Turned off manual game fix

Animal-_- likes this.
  8. dizee

dizee Lucille is thirsty

I did what swill recommended to fix the fps and on enowapi i was still having FPS issues during gameplay in hardware mode. the spectator cam was fine in hardware mode however and software mode was also fine while i played.

my specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jyDrGX

9. CAPP360

CAPP360 Green Up

Than you for this guide. After about an hour or so I finally got it to work! My only hang up was when I couldn't see any rooms, so I used the troubleshooting part of your guide and left my IP, subnet, and DNS to auto and the game list started populating and I was able to play! Thanks again man!

Tawok and dizee like this.
  10. 1UP

PCSX2 will usually always report a higher frame rate because that number isn't what the game is running at. I don't know if it is true but it's generally safe to take w.e you see pcsx2 showing you and dividing it by 2 and that is what you would be getting on the ps2.

11. Swill

Swill Killjoy

This happened to me on the Mixer, but it doesn't have to do with the settings change. It's just an issue with the emulator I'm assuming, much like the issue with Crossroads. Some maps, for whatever reason, just aren't playable. At least not for me. Glitches on the screen, green boxes randomly popping up, etc.

If anyone as any kind of fix for this, I'd be appreciative. @1UP , didn't you say Crossroads was fine for you? How did you get it to work?

12. 1UP

I was using a different version of the emulator and I was going to package that up after I got to test more maps but oddly enough I was having issues on maps like sujo and sandstorm so as I stated before, it's best to just wait on an official release. The real problem here though is people calling pcsx2 lagless when we all know that's not the case.

The change you talked about yesterday didn't do much for me and in some cases made it worse, so there's just alot of tweaking involved. I think what we might have to do is set aside some time and make some games and play around with them. I believe you and I have pretty similar hardware. I know we have the same video card at least.

However your changes appeared to work well for a few people so that's great since precision is on a laptop. I was surprised that he was getting an enjoyable experience on that so that's pretty awesome. The visual glitches you are having might be do to having the Gamehack off for the VU stalls. I know crossroads is a map that requires that setting for sure on pcsx2 1.4 and some other maps might share that same problem.

SkiMask likes this.
  13. MattyB

MattyB Devil's Road

We should get some guys together this week and test some of these maps and see what we can find.

14. 1UP

That would be pretty handy

15. MattyB

MattyB Devil's Road

I can on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

16. Swill

Swill Killjoy

I think the issue is then that you didn't have your settings set exactly as I have them. The two people who did set them exactly both got the same improvement I got. So, you must have just missed something on accident or something.

The only thing left for me to figure out and get squared away are the trouble maps like Crossroads and apparently The Mixer. As soon as I can get those squared away, then my emulation setup will be perfect.

17. 1UP

That's the issue, none of those maps are problems for me in software at least. I was getting some data from mixer with dizee and he was having alot of problems with the map.

18. ozzler

ozzler Green Up

Your guide states 255.255.255.0 for subnet mask in the emulator.

I had to use 255.255.0.0 to get connected.

19. 1UP

Later on in the trouble shooting guide it also mentioned leaving everything as auto and that seems to work for people as well. I actually had to use that on my laptop.

But you having a difference case isn't really all that surprising. It's the nature of the beast. At least you have it up and running now.

20. CAPP360

CAPP360 Green Up

Has anyone using an Xbox One controller been able to use chat with the stock headset that plugs into the controller? I don't see any options for this and when I try to use it nothing happens.