Setting up PCSX2 to work with Xlink Kai

Discussion in 'SOCOM On XLink' started by 1UP, Aug 8, 2017.

1. dtodt13

dtodt13 Butterstick

@1UP how can i add the socom ca map packs?? its killing me

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  2. dizee

dizee Lucille is thirsty

I am not sure how to use the CA Map packs with the emulator or even if CA runs well with it.

3. dtodt13

dtodt13 Butterstick

it runs great, same as s2. this method outlined by 1UP is amazing. really need his input on how to attach the ca maps because its my preferred socom.

4. You be better off just buying a PS2 and playing that way. PCSX2 runs horrible on CA LAN.

5. dtodt13

dtodt13 Butterstick

i have a ps2, but its easier for me on pc. and i like the hd graphics. socom 2 ran amazing id like to test out CA LAN for myself.

6. 1UP

1UP The BETTER Socom on PC Guy

I haven't bothered with 3 or CA because of how poor they perform overall. The game will run fine with a few people but anything after that and it is a shit show. When the next official version of pcsx2 is released I'll re-visit it and update guides / create a new one if it actually performs better.

Swill likes this.
  7. dtodt13

dtodt13 Butterstick

Damn thats unfortunate. Well, s2 runs amazing still. Solid 60fps no lag in a full room on my gaming pc. I like ca better because the graphics and to me the play style is more fluid. Thanks man

8. dtodt13

dtodt13 Butterstick

is Crossroads known to be terrible on pcsx2?

9. 1UP

You have to run the emulator in D3D9 software mode. But to answer your question, yes.

10. dtodt13

dtodt13 Butterstick

Ah i think i was testing out 11 and forgot i changed it. Ill check again tomorrow on 9. Thank you.

11. Based_Skid

Based_Skid Green Up

I know how to get the Maps Working on CA. It involves Emulating the official sony hdd and usuing the ULE wip7 hdd elf so that you can modify the socom ca partition that is automatically generated when you save the game for the first time.

im trying to find someone that still has socom 3 with the last patches that were released. i might need a few other things to run it but im trying to figure out how to make it work for socom 3 as well

I made a quick video on how to do it with CA, But after CA it shows Socom 2. The socom 2 method didnt work but i will fix that somehow. Check the video out though it will get you CA maps on HDD

The ISO file with the maps is located here. And the ELF file you need
    https://mega.nz/#!O1IGGSwR!927SnUhqImMCzofUY6nhccbFWG2AvpporxPoocp7SJs

This could potentially open the door for custom maps.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  12. 1UP

S2 was covered in the guide since that's a pop in a disk and install. I don't see custom maps ever being a thing because of the amount of work that would be involved. I don't think anyone is really going to go that route when there are other games that you could make the maps for. It's not as simple as making a map, packing it up and slapping it in the game.

As for the patches, are you asking for the files that were on the server or the actual memory card save that had it installed? If you want the installed save then you are also going to have to run Gtlc-Pimp's code to actually load it from a different console.

13. dtodt13

dtodt13 Butterstick

holy shit balls i love you. i searched high and low for all sorts of stuff. was this made public? or just your own venture?

i even looked up how to make my own .iso out of the map pack but i didnt get far. but looks like i was on the right track haha

ok so following along, @Based_Skid my hdd0 in filebrowser is empty

14. dtodt13

dtodt13 Butterstick

? id like to play it tonight. @1UP would you happen to know why the hdd0 is empty?

15. 1UP

Are you creating the HDD from the steps in my guide?

16. dtodt13

dtodt13 Butterstick

i dont believe so, ill review it.

@1UP ok i overlooked that because i was not interested in using map packs or anything for S2. i was trying to use the hdd loader and attaching the SCA.iso lol. right track kinda. but weve got another success story here. i got the maps showing in create a room. thank you guys a bunch. really good help!

17. 1UP

Fair enough reason to skip over it considering this guide was really more about s2 than anything else, but it all can apply to any game.

18. Based_Skid

Based_Skid Green Up

Well I had setup an emulator for Kai play and i couldnt play CA because veryone is playing the socom 2 maps on CA. I found a plugin that could emulate the mass storage drive but it would be detected in ULE but not socom so I remembered that the game utilized the hdd for the maps and so i went on to follow the guide for the socom 2 maps and after setting that up i loaded up CA and setup a save and checked the hdd for the partition and noticed it had created the game partition but i could not access it and i seen a video where someone use ULE to write to the game partition of socom 2 and use a cloned physical drive to get the hdd maps. and so i started trying a bunch of differnt versions of ULE until i found that one that could write to the partitions and then i seen that the Socom CA partition had a RUN folder just like the USB drives
    so i used the emulated flash drive to copy the maps from my emulated stick that wasnt recognized by socom but was by ULE to the HDD and booted into lan and it worked. Then i got the idea of making the iso to make it easier for emu users. But i dont know if it would add any benefit (maybe load times) but console users could probably copy there shit from the usb to the HDD partition on the real hardware. PS2 had usb 1.1 and is slow as fuck.

I spent like a whole day Trying to figure this out.

Did you Get your Maps Working correcty on the hdd

I am studying Socom3/CA and I am in need of a Socom3 and Ca patch that hasnt been modded in any way and i need a dump of the console bios it ran on. i wanted to look into how the game behaved, particularly socom 3 to get these maps to work. but i think it needs the patch

I know it is probably pointless to use socom 3 but if anyone ever resurrects a server. im sure that they will need to code it to be compatible with socom 3 discs for it to work correctly.

I also want to study MIPS and see what i can learn about the server side of the game and see where it goes from there so if anyone has the original patches and is willing to provide them with copies of there bios dumps of the system. For research purposes Dont upload them in public (unless you want people spoofing your ps2) i know there are ways of loading raw files with codes but i want to start from scratch and make some comparisons on how the 2 different games work. and the more copies of peoples patches and bios the better because i can compare it to how it acts on different ps2s.

Anyways my assumption is if the patching system can be figured out. then it could be possible to open up a DNAS server with the DNASforever github .and then later setup a patching service so that people can use a custom DNS server and connect to the "online service" and download a patch.and im sure thats going to require a lot of serious work . Im not sure that DNAS would be needed if it can be bypassed.

But Then Everyone who wanted to play on kai could atleast have the latest patches for now. But it could also help lay the groundwork later when a server is figured out and if codes or changes are needed then there would be a way to deploy a patch so people wouldn't have to modify there systems to get online.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  19. eVo7

eVo7 Vicious Provacateur

Just a heads up, it seems as if some people in the SOCOM community (who I won't name) are starting to deem the emulator as cheating.

20. dizee

dizee Lucille is thirsty

Probably due to people using the no fog iso that was given out here.