SOCOM 2 Map Pack Question

Discussion in 'SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs' started by xStartThMachinex, Apr 13, 2013.

1. xStartThMachinex

xStartThMachinex Rah-he-lah!

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to upload the SOCOM 2 Map Pack from the PSM disc to PC/Mac and give it to everyone? I have all of the PSM SOCOM DLC discs and I would gladly try to upload them somehow so everyone can get them and play on xLink.

Drum likes this.
  2. Eminem

Eminem Devil's Road

Damn, its been forever since i've played those maps.

3. People will need a method to boot the demo disc and need a Official PS2 HDD. Also will need the SOCOM 2 patch v1.4. Actually probably be easier to just upload a clone of a PS2 HDD with the HDD maps that way people can skip the method they will need to boot the demo disc.

4. aSN3AKYSN8KE

aSN3AKYSN8KE Butterstick

If they could upload the Combined Assault map packs here, I don't see why we couldn't do these ones either.

It would be awesome though, I never got to play these maps but, always saw videos on YouTube and totally made me jealous.

5. You got the Official PS2 HDD? Also you need the SOCOM 2 patch. Be nice to get people on here playing them as only few people got them right now.

[ZIP]SuPeRMaN likes this.
  6. xStartThMachinex

I have them loaded on my backwards compatible PS3. I only have a slim PS2.

7. You still got the SOCOM 2 patch or no? If you don't you won't be able to play them.

8. xStartThMachinex

Yeah I'm fairly certain I do. I played SOCOM 2 online before the servers went down.

9. Drum

Drum Get to da chobba!

Good man. I've been pushing for a while to get more folks hooked up. Some of us were discussing it last night on Xlink. One guy said he's mailing his discs to another guy, and that's a good start. But I wish there was a way to get more people HDD-ready in the way you imagined. Those maps are terrific. So much fun. So addicting.

Here is an off-hand list of guys who I know already have the HDD and maps installed:

-- Me
    -- You
    -- PAUL-AWOL
    -- Dominator94
    -- Soul Doctor
    -- -|-VIPER
    -- BOZ!
    -- At least two regular Xlink guys whose names I can't recall
    -- DlTCH (Mac user: currently unable to get on Xlink)
    -- DAS-BOOT (not on Xlink yet)

About five are everyday players, while PAUL, Soul Doctor, and BOZ can be available if given fair notice. That makes a half-filled room, at least. If there was a way to do what you're proposing here, then we might fill rooms regularly. All the best. Let's chat some more on Xlink. I'm logging in now.

10. xStartThMachinex

I would love to play on xLink, but my PC is having issues at the moment. I need to restore windows I think. PC keeps locking up on the desktop.
    [hr]
    Anyways, it would be awesome if we could get at least a 10 person room going. Oh man I loved Last Bastion SEALs side :)

Drum likes this.
  11. PRE_-CISION-_

PRE_-CISION-_ Banned for jumping on the mattress

Can't you explore the cd on the computer or something and rip the maps out that way? There has to be a way to do it, I'm not a computer kinda guy but I would like to think technology has advanced since socom 2

Drum likes this.
  12. x-INK-x

x-INK-x Devil's Road

I have all the maps and patch loaded on my PS2 HDD... Plus, I have each of the discs from the playstation magazine. I also have the disc that has all three of the maps ingot from e-seals for winging one of their challenges. Let me know what I can do. I plan on setting up xlink soon. I miss my Socom II. Loved Last Bastion Seals. Towards the end of Socom II when people where abandoning it left and right.... I joined a clan that only played Last Bastion. Man I miss the glory days of Socom II. Socom hasn't been the same since.

Drum likes this.
  13. aSN3AKYSN8KE

aSN3AKYSN8KE Butterstick

I have the HDD and I played the last day the servers were online so I'm assuming I have the latest patch.

Drum likes this.
  14. Drum

Drum Get to da chobba!

That's awesome, Ink. Same here. From Dec '04 to Jan '06, the HDD maps made up about two-thirds of my game play — the other third being clan wars and practices. I'd spend whole weekends playing 6- and 8-minute LB. Craziness. Can hardly wait to play 'em again. Get your butt on Xlink, man!
    [hr]
    That's great news, SN3AKY... hope to see you on Xlink soon.

15. xStartThMachinex

I will play around with the PSM discs sometime this week. Hopefully I will figure something out.

Drum likes this.
  16. Iamlost

Iamlost Night Stalker

I wud love to get on xlink no ps2 tho I had a backwards compatible ps3 forever that I played on under the name *=LOST=* and LOST but it YOLD I refuges the clock and it lasted another 6 months but now it's just done it was a launch day ps3 now all I have is a regular one with black ops 2 and its boring as hell

Looking to get one in near future

There shd be a way that u can use a USB thing with the maps saved on Em as a hdd

I know s3 cud do that

Drum likes this.
  17. Drum

Drum Get to da chobba!

Yeah, I haven't seen you online since idk when. It'd be really neat-o if you could get on Xlink, man. Maybe you could yank another Bitter Jungle MVP from me or something. ( ;

18. THAT_BAD_BOY_T

THAT_BAD_BOY_T Night Stalker

Woowww you're tellin me after 8-9 years after these maps came out, I STILL might have a chance to play em????

I've always been jealous of people who had those maps, but that HDD thing was the biggest ripoff. No way was I paying that much for it.

Drum likes this.
  19. xStartThMachinex

If somehow I can get them on my PC/Mac, I would assume people here would be able to put them on your PS3. So in theory, if I can do this, it would only be for people that have the backwards compatible PS3s.
    [hr]
    Sooooo I think I am on to something. I have all four of the PSM discs and I loaded all four of them to my Mac and found a pattern. All four discs have a folder called "SCE_DD". When I open the folder you can clearly see a file called "HDD.IRX". So I would assume that has something to do with the SOCOM 2 HDD maps.

I am currently uploading PSM disc 90 (which has all three of the SOCOM 2 HDD maps) onto my Mac.

Drum likes this.
  20. Drum

Drum Get to da chobba!

Where have you been, man? Haven't seen you on Xlink lately. No wonder we've been suffering from a severe lack of motivation. A sad sight to see, really. Guys are traversing the maps lethargically, aimlessly, unenthusiastically, fixated on fireflies and fluffy clouds. A sad sight, indeed. I hope you make it back soon.

About the HDD thing: $130 in December '04 was well worth it. The maps themselves were f'ing terrific — the peak of SOCOM map-making excellence. Lag and hit detection were almost non-issues on Last Bastion and After Hours; the central market area of Liberation would get jammed up, but that was about it. From 12/04 to 1/06 (when I left S2), there was always at least one full HDD room up in the top two servers of each region, as well as Captains Only and Captains Only 1.

These days, the Sony HDDs go for around $30 and up, depending on whether they've been formatted (w/the HDD utility disc). If you ever change your mind, check eBay. They always have the HDDs.