SOCOM Collection Profitable? Simple Logistics

Discussion in 'SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs' started by LUKENBACHER, Nov 16, 2012.

1. LUKENBACHER

LUKENBACHER Retired Co-Founder & Co-Owner

[​IMG]

Needless to say, I find this database extremely interesting. I wasn't able to find anything like this currently on the net, so I decided to create my own. The data conflicts from all angles. I was hoping to find some kind of stable trend between multiplatform vs PlayStation Exclusives, and some kind of connection between the popularity of PlayStation.Blog.Share votes to HD Collection sales figures. For every angle I could come up with, there was a clear contradiction that prevented any stable conclusions. The overall assessment is that HD Collection sales are not predictable, and aside from a few spikes, have not sold that well.

About the only thing you can really assess is the average success of PlayStation Exclusives with HD Remakes. Some of these collections were multiplatform releases originally, and offered PS Exclusive Collections later. Some were PS Exclusive franchises originally and offered a multiplatform HD Collection later. Some were just PS Exclusives across the board. We had a nice mixed bag of different combinations here to analyze.

About the only clear result I can pinpoint is the response received with The ICO & Shadow of the Collosus remake. It appears to me that when you have a cult following, the previous sales of the originals or the franchise as a whole really doesn't have a bearing on success excluding an obvious cap. But proportionally speaking, the sales are still solid. Cult followings will be more vocal with PS.Blog.Shares, and are more loyal when it comes to purchasing Collections once they launch. Using this title as a benchmark, it could indicate that a SOCOM Collection could outsell SOCOM 4, and quite possibly match or surpass SOCOM Confrontation's figures.

The other approach is to look at the averages of PlayStation Exclusives when it comes to Collections and HD Remakes. That data suggests that a SOCOM Collection could sell at least 730,000 copies according to previous HD Collection averages. The other average suggests that it could in fact match 1.5 million copies based on the "HD Sales Performance Compared To Originals" data. (18.07% of the total original sales)

I think 730,000 - 1.5M copies sold is a decent educated guess when it comes to sales figures after looking at 2 years worth of data.

My final thoughts? A SOCOM Collection would be profitable and could easily match or exceed the success of the last two SOCOM titles for the PS3. The only catch is that this data would easily explain Sony's hesitation on moving forward with one. The market and demand is very sporadic and unpredictable. Unless Sony acknowledges the passion our SOCOM cult following has, and is confident in an overwhleming PS.Blog.Share response translating to decent sales, a SOCOM Collection just isn't going to happen anytime soon. I will point out that there are several Collections listed above that never sold well, yet they were greenlit for Collections. Another point to consider is the current state of the SOCOM franchise having an effect on sales due to a hindered level of demand and recent popularity. The final results for SOCOM are completely up in the air from my stand point. There is no solid proof that it would fail, and there is no solid proof that it would be extremely profitable either.

What are your interpretations?

TRS Artcle: http://therealsocom.com/2012/11/16/soco ... logistics/

NO_FEAR likes this.
  2. SLAYNE920

SLAYNE920 Quickscoper

RE: SOCOM Collection Profitable?- Simple Logistics

You don't have to convince me Luke. A SOCOM Collection would definitely be profitable for Sony.

But like I've said before, who's left in Sony to prove this point and convince them to green-light this project?

Great job though! Hope someone take notice.

K_M_A_R_T likes this.
  3. xPREDICTIONx

xPREDICTIONx Requiem

It feels like a best for last kind of deal...

4. Bush_Wacker1

Bush_Wacker1 Rah-he-lah!

I notice you didn't include Confrontation or S4. That would probably change the HD collection percentage quite a bit. In the end of course it would be worth it because there can't be a lot of cost involved with the making of and HD collection compared to a whole new game. They would be kind of stupid not to do it IMO.

5. LUKENBACHER

LUKENBACHER Retired Co-Founder & Co-Owner

I didn't include SC & S4 because they still have active servers. Most of the Collections I highlighted above are for PSOne/PS2 titles. A few bundles included PS3 versions, but very few.

6. VanilaGorila

VanilaGorila Claymore Jumper

It shows me that HD collections don't sell very well

7. SPOTTED

SPOTTED Claymore Jumper

Awesome intel Luke. Sipping on some coffee and analyzing.

My conclusion...it would make more money than the other HD releases.

There's other reasons though for no remake...I still think Sony wants to rid the hardcore players (us) from their console. That's my conspiracy theory. Games are so dumbed down nowadays. No one in gaming wants to earn credibility anymore, like back in the day with S1...it meant something to be "good" back then. Sony wants their games to be easy so everyone can feel like a hero. A true SOCOM will never be that kind of game. It's skill based. A great quote I once read "Everyone pities the weak, ability is earned."

Luke's data proves to me, it's actually not about the money Sony could make on a remake...it's about ridding us from the general gaming population (the casuals). SOCOM isn't a casual game.

I could be wrong...it's just "my" conspiracy theory as to why there hasn't been an HD remake, why S4 was so "kiddie" and why there hasn't been any new SOCOM news other than Zipper closing it's doors. We are literally being shoved to the side.

8. kevin-Ate-9

kevin-Ate-9 203 Spammer

I highly doubt it will reach 1 million sales. The most it will get to is probably .5 million. You have to think out of those 19,000 votes, some of those were probably people voting on multiple accounts. so that number doesn't stand out to me that much. Also most socom fans have moved on to other games and have completely forgotten the franchise. There is really only a handful of us left. My real prediction would be like 200,000-500,000 copies sold and I'm being generous with that. It could be successful for those sales numbers because i doubt Sony will put too much effort in making it in hd, and the game might not have multiplayer. That alone will bring sales down.

9. VOTE4SOCOM1HD

VOTE4SOCOM1HD Night Stalker

I can tell you right now, I know at least 10 people that will buy that game. It will definitely sell well and will be profitable.

10. Medux

Medux Requiem

s4 sold .5 mill. It will sell more then a million. All the old socomers / cod players that played socom , Halo players that played socom and every other socomer would be right back on the HD remake IF and ONLY if it was like s1 and s2.
    I've been talking too a few COD pro players on XBOX and he hasnt touched a socom since s2 cause s3,scon were so shit. He said he would be back in a heartbeat if it got re-released.

Also those votes, yeah some may have voted a few times.. But theres millions upon millions who don't even know about it. Shit half my friends list on PSN prob haven't even voted for it.

I honestly believe a socom game (s1/s2) remade would shatter most #s games put up today. Other then COD, HALO, Gears of course. Even i wouldn't be surprised too see 30 000+ on 24.7.

11. XTREME-WARFARE

XTREME-WARFARE Grenade Spammer

I'm nuts about Metal Gear and by looking at those numbers shows how loyal a fan base can be. And yes a Socom collection will sell a million plus no question about it.

12. Qune

Qune Grenade Spammer

Zone of The Enders was re-made? Wow, I remember I bought that crap game just so I could get the Metal Gear demo.

13. S_L_I_C_K

S_L_I_C_K eSEAL

i honestly dont thing a socom collection would sell very well. the fans have been driven away so much over the years i really dont think there are enough left to put a dent in sales. if they announced a socom hd it might bring back a couple people, but i think for the most part people are like fuck it, im tired of dealing with these ass hats, let them rot. to little to late.

i know this goes against what everyone has been fighting for but thats just the way i see it now. i am fairly certain the socom boat has sailed/sunk.

K_M_A_R_T likes this.
  14. Legend__Q.EU

Legend__Q.EU iDub Scrub

i got some of the old EU players on Facebook and they all are waiting on a socom HD, meanwhile they are playing games like BF3 and COD, but they are so wanting this to happen, and they didn't even know about the voting blog. so why should this not sell more then 1mill,

just my thoughts but why can't it make 2Mill sales, i even told people on work about socom 1 & 2 and they only love the game, by my story's and even they like to see that happen.

15. Buchanans

Buchanans Breach Bandit

Damn those results really don't do squat to help predict how HD collections in general will perform. Some have done very well while others have tanked. I think it's safe to say that a SOCOM HD collection would be profitable but at the same time it still might not sell all that great and be deemed not profitable enough to bother with.

Somebody mentioned saving the best for last... what a terrible idea IMO. The more time that goes by the more people forget and move on. Each additional SOCOM game released after S2 has tarnished and damaged the brand name more and more. The longer they wait the more people forget about the glory days of S1 and S2 and the more recent fresh memory are the terrible abominations that came out on PS3.

You look at the two HD collections that did the best. God of War and Metal Gear. What do they have going for them? They are still successful series and have always been. They don't have to overcome the burden of a shitty game being released in the chain let alone 2 or 4 shitty games. They have all had successful current generation releases to keep them relevant. That's what powers an HD release... that's why GOW has done the best because 1 and 2 released right along with 3 and all of those were great games.

As far as SOCOM goes I hate to say this but they waited way too long and damaged the brand way too much. The game is no longer relevant after being fucked in the ass multiple times. Sad but true.

16. S_L_I_C_K

S_L_I_C_K eSEAL

the thing is you used to know more people that were waiting for socom, we all did. my friends list used to hover around 80 people, all socom die hards. some of them never played anything but socom,i met all of them on socom 1-con. that list is now below 20 as far as socom players, a good chunk of them said fuck it and stopped gaming completely, a good chunk sold their ps3s and went to xbox and the ones that are left really dont give a shit anymore. these are people that would have never played a cod game that are now cod players, myself included. i am betting out of the 20 remaining socom players, maybe 10 would be excited to see a socom hd, the others might follow just to stick with the gang, but its not like it used to be, the excitement is pretty much completely gone, they are tired of the bullshit and had enough. and these are people that played socom every single night for 6 plus hours a night. these are people that used to take vacation on the release week of a socom game.

im sure im not the only person in this boat. i bet all of you can say almost the exact same thing. yeah you might know some people that would jump on socom hd, but you dont know nearly as many as you once did. the fanbase is fading away.

17. Medux

Medux Requiem

Uh no.. I still know all the same people . Why would i all of a suddenly not no the people i played with for 10 years ? lol THey are just on xbox or playing diff games or working. If s1 or s2 droped they would be right back too gaming. Go ask your socom friends on XBOX who are playing otehr games.I know i have asked a few PRO cod players , HALO players, Counter Strike they all just want a proper socom.

I have 100 people on my friendslist every single one of them socom players and every single one of them will be back without me even asking. I know the it will be the same thing for turny sites , GB so on. GB alone would bring back 1000's upon thousands.

18. VanilaGorila

VanilaGorila Claymore Jumper

Thousands upon thousands, yes. Hundreds of thousands, no.

I'm with s_l_i_c_k, too many SOCOMers have said fuck it and moved on.

19. Medux

Medux Requiem

There was never Hundreds of thosuands playing daily before so why would you expect that now ???

Also, thats GB alone.. Compared too the rest of the Socomers GB is a tiny group.

Socom would still put up better online #'s then Battlefield 3, Counter Strike, and most of the other online games with a few exceptions. So if they can make those games ( which cost's millions) they can make a remake of Socom and make great profit.

20. S_L_I_C_K

S_L_I_C_K eSEAL

There was never Hundreds of thosuands playing daily before so why would you expect that now ???

sure there was, i would guess there were at least 300k-500k different unique loggins each day, hell confrontation had 100k unique loggins per day. i saw socom 2 hit 100k and crash, thats 100 thousand people logging in all at one time, now think about the other 23 hours in the day. that just wont be the case now. i would think a socom hd would have serious trouble selling much over 300k copies. and i have a pretty good track record for guessing sales and player counts, in fact i hit socom 4s sales on the head a year before it launched.