SOCOM Fun Nights

Discussion in 'SOCOM Community Nights' started by Swill, Jul 31, 2017.

1. MR.BLONDE

MR.BLONDE HE STINKS AND I DON'T LIKE HIM

1)M203s are for loser noobs
    2)Honestly, that's a fair strat. Hell, knock em down with a 203 if they're up there, I don't know.
    3)Well... it is a phrase that's pretty much exclusively used to disparage black people. Out of context, as an S2 name, it's not exactly racist, but I've only ever seen it written or spoken in context when someone is angry about black crime.
    4)FACE FACTS MAN

EDIT: Since it's probably the only part of my post that will garner response, I should clarify. I don't really care what people call themselves on S2 anymore, and I'll wager most people on xLink won't either. But as far as the phrase being racist, it's... how do I put this? It's partially dependent on context, yes, and I believe the phrase can be used in a non-racist manner, but that's pretty much limited to quotations and ironic usage. Maybe something else applies, but I can't think of it. So I'd ask whoever had that name what prompted them to use it, and what they find funny about it, before making an accusation.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  2. TOMBSTONE4U

TOMBSTONE4U Ninja SEAL

Well to be fair "Dindu Nuffin" has an obvious target in the way it is used all over social media these days lol. But then you get people on the other side of the coin saying things like "white privilege" or "white supremacy" to try to silence all opinions they don't like which is pretty racist and I'm sure very offensive to a homeless white guy who wonders where his default privilege went lol. The point being is I say just let everyone have freedom of speech because otherwise both sides will want to silence certain speech while at the same time wanting to exempt themselves from having to play by their own rules. I think that's one thing that kind of red pilled me to an extent in the last decade is that there is zero self awareness from the left as to their own racial stereotypes while they virtue signal and try to silence everyone else. A bit too fascist for my taste.

3. Swill

Swill Killjoy

There's nothing wrong with the name Dindu Nuffin. Yes, it's making fun of something related to black people and crime. But, so what. It's funny.

Dave Chapelle, the greatest black comedian in history, if not one of the best comedians in history period, once said:

"Yes, black people love fried chicken, grape juice, and Old E'. It's funny. It's not a reason to hate a muthafucka, but it's funny."

Making fun of other cultures isn't racist. It's called dark humor, or insensitive humor. It's been a staple of comedy for decades, and it's perfectly fine. Not all jokes need to be sensitive to people's feelings and well-being. Just because someone pokes of different races or different cultures doesn't mean that's a negative thing or that there's any hateful intent behind it.

ChemoFreak7 likes this.
  4. MR.BLONDE

I feel that there's a need to craft a good joke to use the comedy defense in this instance. Making your S2 name 'Dindu Nuffin' isn't high-effort, and it isn't a well-crafted attempt at humor. It's taking a preexisting phrase and placing it in a random context without any prompt, without a lead-in, without a punchline. Dave Chapelle wouldn't ever start a set by coming on stage and opening with just the words 'Dindu Nuffin' without anything before or afterwards to contextualize it.

I think you're going to say something along the lines of 'Well, comedy is subjective. Just because you don't find it funny, doesn't mean it isn't.' I agree, funny is partially subjective, but that doesn't mean comedy isn't an artform, and that good comedy doesn't require knowledge of good joke structure, delivery, and timing. There's a reason why Dave Chapelle is considered a great comedian, he has those traits and more, and to much higher degrees than anyone here, I'd wager. On a related note, have you ever referred to some shitty comedian that you think sucks as 'unfunny'?

Please read my post and note that I never said that whoever had the name was racist, or that they had racist intent in using the name. I couldn't prove that even if I wanted to make such a claim. What I'm saying, though, is that you cannot feign ignorance when people perceive it as an act made with that kind of intent, because 'Dindu Nuffin' is most commonly used to disparage black people. Whether it's right or wrong to make that assumption, it's not built on sand anymore.

5. Swill

Swill Killjoy

The person making the joke doesn't have to make the joke according to anyone else's standards. When I see the name "Dindu Nuffin", it makes me chuckle to myself. I don't need context, a setup, or a punchline given to me to understand the joke and where it comes from. I can laugh at it without any of those things.

"What I'm saying, though, is that you cannot feign ignorance when people perceive it as an act made with that kind of intent, because 'Dindu Nuffin' is most commonly used to disparage black people."

I don't have to feign ignorance, because I can simply just disagree with you. Again, intent is the fault of the person applying it. If someone makes the name Dindu Nuffin, and another person assumes a specific intent behind that, that assumed intent is the fault of the person doing the assuming. They could just as easily say, "Well, I'm sure it's just him making a joke and nothing more." Instead, that person assumes there's some kind of evil or mean intent behind the joke when in actuality, it's just that, a joke and nothing more.

A joke like that isn't used to "disparage" black people. It's used to poke fun of a stereotype. Poking fun of something purely out of humor and "disparaging" something are two completely different things.

6. MR.BLONDE

If you don't feel jokes need to be well-made, then I encourage you not to base your defense of them on the backs of comedians that would never make such shitty, low-effort jokes.

This again. The assumed intent of a joke is partially dependent on the context and environment in which the joke is made. If you were to hear someone like Dave Chapelle make a joke that stereotypes black people, it's inherently less likely to have a racist intention or origin than someone on /pol/ making the same joke. And again, I'm not claiming the joke was made with such an intent. But considering how frequently this subject has been necessary to clarify recently, it will continue to be perceived as racist by some if no action is taken. If you don't like to be perceived as racist, then either consider that in future attempts at comedy, or don't care. I imagine most of you don't care anyways.

EDIT: I should mention, this wouldn't even be a discussion ongoing right now if @eVo7 didn't bring it up. Just to be clear. IF you guys don't want this discussion to continue unduly, then you don't have to make a mountain out of a molehill. If this isn't a big deal, don't make it a big deal.

7. Swill

Swill Killjoy

What's considered a "well-made" joke is different for each person. Your standards for a "well-made" joke are obviously different from mine. And, neither one of us is right or wrong. You have your standards for a "well-made" joke, and I have mine. When someone makes a joke, they should make it according to their own standards, not anyone else's.

Again, the context or environment surrounding a joke is irrelevant. Each person is in control of their own thoughts and how they decide to interpret something. Whether it's Dave Chapelle or a some shmuck on /pol/ making the same joke, it's 100% my responsibility to make my own interpretation of what the intent behind the joke is. Whichever interpretation and intent I decide to go with, that's 100% based on my own thoughts and my own choice, and that assumed intent is then 100% my own responsibility, regardless of context or environment.

8. 1UP

1UP The BETTER Socom on PC Guy

Says the people who made a mountain out of some dude's name

Swill, dizee and MACK IS GOD like this.
  9. hexum

hexum [LiQ]

its like every 10-11 pages is the same conversation over and over again.

Animal-_- likes this.
  10. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD VP of Toxicity

I agree. Almost as if the same whining tampons continue to cry about the same nonsense over and over again and then spend paragraphs explaining what meets their standards of a proper "joke" and would be better served just keeping their sobbing and false outrage to themselves, since nobody other than their group of whining crybabies gives a shit.

I'm still waiting to find out what happens if their investigation into the racism of Socom names bears some fruit and they can confirm that someone is in fact, (air leaves room) racist.

Will the Socom racism police be contacted and that player or players be removed from the game? Perhaps the FBI will be notified that theres some guy on Xlink who another group of guys on Xlink thinks is racist. Or will life just go on with nobody caring other than the same whining simps who keep bringing it up?

Although I will admit, it is quite humorous that someones name could trigger a person to go on an hour long drunken rant and completely lose their shit. Thats pretty funny, racist or not. To ever allow what some guys name is on a video game to effect you that much emotionally is a nice glimpse into the psyche of the adult crybaby.

dizee likes this.
  11. hexum

hexum [LiQ]

yea. i wasnt there so no idea what happened now but people want reactions and get them. its the nature of the socom cycle.

Swill and dizee like this.
  12. MACK IS GOD

Guy makes screen name that some people find funny, some dont

Guy whines and has a drunken mental breakdown on his Twitch because of name and how offensive it is

People laugh at that guy

That guy's mouthpiece then comes here and goes into a forensic analysis of what constitutes "a joke"

People laugh at that guy too

Nothing changes

Thats pretty much it. A group of guys who's entire stance is "Stop liking things I dont like and stop finding things funny I dont find funny" calling other people racists for the umpteenth time expecting to hear something other than crickets. Theres a joke about the definition of insanity in there somewhere but I couldnt be bothered.

That should catch you up.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  13. MattyB

MattyB Devil's Road

Rinse, repeat.

ChemoFreak7, eVo7, dizee and 2 others like this.
  14. eVo7

eVo7 Vicious Provacateur

1) Ok, so....?

3) Dindu Nuffin is about as racist as calling someone a thug, "Dindu Nuffins", like thugs come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. What I was poking fun at was the fact that obvious criminals claiming/stating they "dindu nuffin" that goes for all ethnicitys

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  15. MACK IS GOD

I wouldnt even bother. Hes going to assign intent to you regardless of what you say. He has decided that YOU are a racist, so whatever you say wont have any effect on his point of view. Nor should you care what his point of view is.

This is the same guy who called me a racist because my name was "Tyrone Shoelaces". His rationale for that was because Tyrone is a "black" name, using it in any context is racist, even if its a phonetic play on words and even though its not a "black" name. I highly doubt had my name been "Jenna Talia" or "Al Coholic" that he would have said that my name was offensive to women or Italian people since, ya know, Jenna is a womans name and Al is typically an Italian name.

I also highly doubt if you made your name "Me So Horny" or "Get Er Done" that he would have done a forensic analysis of how your name was racist towards Asians or White Southerners. He only cares that YOU made the name. He doesnt care about the context or intent.

So basically a guy in an Igloo in Saskatchewan who has likely had more real life interaction with Polar Bears and Elephant Seals than he has black people, likes to fashion himself as an authority on what black people should or shouldnt find offensive. HE knows best. Black people need HIM to champion their fight against racist names on Socom. The funniest part is almost every black person Ive ever known cant stand estrogen filled SJW whining crusaders who cry racism at every person and act as if black people somehow need help from the likes of people like him.

The way he goes on and on about it and constantly brings up racism against blacks to the exclusion of every other race, makes me think he might have some kind of fetish for black men.

Either way, responding to him is pointless and circular. He excels at talking in circles and trying to play gotcha with semantics. Nobody cares what he thinks, and responding to him and his whining is useless to all involved.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    eVo7 likes this.