"What Are You Watching?"

Discussion in 'Mindless Ramblings' started by SkiMask, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Smokey_Run

Smokey_Run Retired

@MACK IS GOD Basically, father dies and his son, who is rumored to be dead, returns to more or less get his revenge on people who have wronged him and his family in the past. As you said, it's set in 1815 I believe, set on the backdrop of the War of 1812 and the settlement of the border between Canada and America. The Vancouver Sound, or whatever it's called in real life, plays a huge part of the story so far.

There is some supernatural elements, but I think it fits. It's not really vampires and shit, but more just a creepiness.

MACK IS GOD likes this.
  2. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD VP of Toxicity

Oh wow. Ok cool. So its actually in America? I like that.

Thats an interesting time period to be in and is pretty original for TV as I cant really think of any shows who used that era.

Another question. Based on the title "Taboo" do they try to shock the audience with gratuitous sex scenes and perverted shit just for the sake of titillating without having anything to do with the story?

I hate that shit.

From a few of the previews I saw it seemed like it might be going that way. Its not that I give a shit, I just hate when they waste time with excessive nudity and sex scenes just to be edgy when they could better spend their time on plot and character development.

3. Smokey_Run

Smokey_Run Retired

Nah, it's London. However, the rivalry between the two are a big part of the story.

Well... yeah there is something, you'll know what I'm talking about in the first like 30 minutes of the first episode. No nudity or sex scenes so far.

However, it appears FX doesn't give a fuck about using the word fuck anymore in their shows. There was probably a good 6 of them in tonight's episode. Atlanta had at least one per episode when it aired. Nice to see some cable companies have a backbone. I fully expect FX will be the first cable company to air actual nudity, but it probably won't be for another couple years.

4. MACK IS GOD

Ok, cool. Im definitely gonna check it out cuz like I said I trust your opinion and taste.

Quite frankly I would put FX's library up against any network on television. They make great shows.

5. Smokey_Run

Smokey_Run Retired

Definitely watch it. I think even if you have issues with the supernatural elements (which I think is more how they're conveying mental illness) and the on the nose taboo reference, Tom Hardy more than pulls his fucking weight.

Right now, I'd say it's like HBO, FX, Netflix, and Amazon having the most going right now with Showtime and AMC picking up the slack with like one or two decent to good shows anymore. AMC suffered the biggest fall from grace IMO. They're lucky they have Better Call Saul or I wouldn't even bother with the channel (granted I watch TWD out of obligation at this point, but hate every minute of it - I just need to see the car crash through at this point).

6. MACK IS GOD

Whats on HBO that youre liking? Other than Game of Thrones theyre pretty thin, no?

Unless youre big on "Girls" for some reason.

Speaking of AMC, have you watched "Humans"? I DVRd the first season to watch before season 2 starts.

7. Smokey_Run

Smokey_Run Retired

Game of Thrones, but I've heard real good things about Westworld. I cancelled HBO until GOT. I'll catch up with everything I missed at that point. I want to say they announced a project or two that I'm interested in. But yeah, HBO is rather thin these days and has been for a handful of years now.

I haven't watched it, but seeing the commercials in the lead up for season 2, I'm starting to wonder if it is worth it.

8. MACK IS GOD

WestWorld is meh. Its got good production value and pacing, but the casting is HORRIBLE. Its definitely not worth paying for HBO to watch.

If you really want to see it PM me and I'll give you a site you can HD stream it for free or I'll give you my Directv pass if you really want to see it.

9. Smokey_Run

Smokey_Run Retired

I can wait until Game of Thrones comes back. Only sub to HBO when that show is airing and then I catch up on all the series I missed for the past year. So I'll catch Night Of and Westworld then.

What about the Young Pope or whatever? I saw that's an HBO joint and it just started.

10. xCaZx-

xCaZx- Socom Refugee

Is peeky blinders worth watching?

I just finished seasons 1 and 2 of Bloodline. It was good but a tad bit over hyped in my opinion.

11. MACK IS GOD

Forgot about The Night Of. Excellent mini series. Really high quality.

Havent even bothered watching Young Pope. Unless I hear that its truly excellent, I wont be watching it. The subject matter holds no interest for me.

12. Smokey_Run

Smokey_Run Retired

Heard it was good. Haven't watched it myself though.
    Seems it got decent reviews so I was just wondering if you checked it out. I honestly didn't even know it existed until the other day. Most of the stuff I'm looking forward to on HBO are mini series; Lewis and Clark, the Kubrick Napoleon project, American Lion. I'm interested in The Deuce (David Simon - The Wire, Treme) series that should be coming along at some point this year. They have some other series that's early in development like Cortes and Glare (sci-fi, space) but I'll be lucky to see both of those by 2020, if at all, based on how HBO has been functioning the past 5 years.

13. JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz

JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz Pizza Shitposting CIO

Season 2 of The Expanse is coming out in a couple weeks. Pretty stoked about that.

As for the premium cable shows, I do the same as you do, Smokey. I cancel my movie channels until Game of Thrones. Then I get HBO until it ends and catch up on some of the other shows, too. Looking forward to checking out Westworld. I loved the movie...

14. MACK IS GOD

The Americans should also be coming back on sometime in February. Excellent show and gives some great nostalgia feels for guys our age from the time period. They do a great job of product placement to set the tone. You see shit like the kids playing Atari and those portable mini arcade boxes that played Pac Man.

15. MACK IS GOD

Just saw a trailer for another new show that looks very good.

Its called "Sneaky Pete". Its made by Amazon TV. Based on their other ventures into television with Bosch and The Man in the High Castle, which are both excellent, Sneaky Pete looks to be another show worth watching.

It stars Bryan Cranston and Giovanni Rabisi and is about 2 con men and the world of pulling off cons and heists. Im a huge fan of this type of show/movie and like both actors so I'll definitely be checking it out.

I dont have Amazon Prime so I'll have to pirate the season or stream the episodes on my trusty HD streaming pirate site, but the cool thing about Amazon is they release the entire season all at once, so I can binge it.

We really are in a Golden Age of television. There are SO MANY quality shows available to watch and such a great variety........

Speaking of which that just reminded me. Yet ANOTHER great show to watch is Black Mirror. Its a British series that only does 3 or 4 episodes a season, they are stand alone unrelated stories that are more like hour long movies, but they are very good. Its like a modern day Twilight Zone. I have a feeling you would really like it @JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz

16. Animal-_-

Animal-_- TRS Staff

I got through about half of the first season of Man in the High Castle and got sidetracked so I didn't keep up. I need to get current with that cause I enjoyed it quite a bit.

One show I've been binging on lately is Once Upon a Time. It's not anything super deep or whatever but I like the way they blend classic fairy tales together with the real world stuff, sometimes turning traditionally good or bad characters into their polar opposite.

17. MACK IS GOD

Im on episode 8 of Season 1 of TMITHC and Im thoroughly enjoying it. Its pretty obvious that the writers arent being pressured by the higher ups to end every episode with a cliffhanger and cram 15 different storylines into the show to try to appeal to as many demographics as possible. They are taking their time and building each character and their motivations and slowly unveiling the fictional world they created. I enjoy the measured pace and so far I think the production value, cinematography, acting, and writing are all superb. Its not an edge of your seat thrill ride each week and thats fine. Its like a fine Scotch to be sipped and savored.

I wont get into the logistical absurdity and completely inaccurate portrayal of what post war America would look like had the Axis won WW2, because frankly it doesnt matter. The show is of such high quality, that I am able to not concern myself with that and just enjoy the show.

Im not familiar with the other show you mentioned. What is it about?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  18. JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz

I have heard nothing but great things about Black Mirror. It's on my radar...

Man in the High Castle has a lot of plot nuances. A guy like Obergruppenfuhrer John Smith, for example. There are a thousand reasons to fucking hate that guy, then you find that ONE redeeming quality. Rufus Sewell does a fantastic job with this role.

They also do a great job of paying homage to the original book, with their own twists involved, of course. It is a work of fiction without any real data backing up what really would have happened, etc. It was just a book written for the fuck of it, and happened to be a great one to boot. I watched season 2 in 2 days. Sometimes I hate doing that, because it leaves me wanting more. Season 3 cannot get here fast enough.

19. MACK IS GOD

Yet ANOTHER good show that will be airing is "The Outsiders" on WGN at 9pm Tuesday Jan. 24th. Its season 2 so you might want to DVR it until you can watch season 1. Its about an extended family of Hillbillies who live in the Appalachian Mountains and have little contact with society and are being pushed off their land by mining and municipal interests. Picture Sons of Anarchy having a baby with Deliverance.

20. JuNgLiSt_TAcTiKz

Seen previews and yes it looks good. Finishing up Incorporated right now. Double episode season finale is next week. God this has been a fantastic show...it needs to continue.