Wow, Gamebattles forums are no more.

Discussion in 'SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs' started by eVo7, Aug 22, 2017.

1. eVo7

eVo7 Vicious Provacateur

Even though I very rarely visited the Gamebattles forums, I just went to check and they are no longer there. Instead with this message:

"The Forums have been big part of this community for many years with over 40 Million posts but their popularity has dwindled in recent years and it is becoming increasingly more difficult to dedicate the resources required to maintain them. Due to this, we have made the difficult decision to remove the forums.

As of Tuesday August 22 @ 4:00 PM ET, the forums will no longer be available.

We encourage you to try using the GameBattles Discord server (https://discord.gg/h6uY3xQ) and the GameBattles Subreddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/Gamebattles/) for questions, feedback, recruiting, announcements, general discussion or just to say hi."

When S1 and S2 were in their primes on both SB.com and then eventually GB.com this was the place to hang and it's kinda a bittersweet moment to see the forums totally gone.

Socom_JbuCk likes this.
  2. 1UP

1UP The BETTER Socom on PC Guy

At the very least they could have made them read only.

Socom_JbuCk likes this.
  3. dizee

dizee Lucille is thirsty

4. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD VP of Toxicity

Only the best posted on Gamebattles.

Socom_JbuCk and HTK like this.
  5. HTK

HTK nos·tal·gia

Forums are no longer needed, things like Reddit are a great way to build a community and it's more open to bring in a new audience.

Tawok likes this.
  6. 1UP

Reddit is essentially a forum, just a really horribly laid out one.

7. MACK IS GOD

Reddit will give you eye cancer if you stay on it for more than a few minutes. As you said, it horribly laid out, the interface is retarded, the upvote/downvote feature is pure cancer and promotes hivemind virtue signaling, and the policy of shadow banning, lying about whats trending/manipulating the front page and suppressing viewpoints the people who control the place disagree with is laughable.

I think they make it so convoluted and inconvenient to read/post there so that people who use the site feel smarter because their favorite echo chamber is so unnecessarily complicated to use. Its surface level 1337 pleb bait for entry level h4xx0rs who havent realized yet that they are being data mined there and every single post they make is being linked to them for future doxxing.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Drum likes this.
  8. LUKENBACHER

LUKENBACHER Retired Co-Founder & Co-Owner

You just described half of the internet....

9. MACK IS GOD

This is true.

Reddit being as large as it is though kind of stands out because its cloaked as being some bastion of free speech and exchange of ideas when in reality it isnt. The moment you attach a "value" to peoples comments through upvotes and "Reddit Gold" (I have no idea what that is, I've just heard the term before), the content of what they have to say is compromised. They are no longer saying what they truly feel, but are instead searching for approval from the group.

Since comments that are not in step with the hivemind can be downvoted into oblivion, there isnt a true exchange of ideas on a level playing field. Couple that with a culture among the moderators and people in control of the site that go in a particular direction, and its just basically Kabuki Theatre.

There are definitely some sub reddits that are worth reading/following, but you then push back up against the absolutely horrible interface.

Foxtrot likes this.
  10. 1UP

Neckbeards!

11. MACK IS GOD

12. LUKENBACHER

Real quick... reddit gold is an awesome feature there. A user can buy "gold" to gift to another post/poster or themselves. This purchase buys server time to keep reddit running. So it is a clever crowd sourcing feature to pay for the global bandwidth of a 100M+ strong community. Anyone who has reddit gold receives a month of access to special features like karma breakdowns, no ads in the private section, and a recent posts/comments read widget.

In regards to your other points, I think there is a sliver of truth to it. They are definitely hive minds in their own echo-chambers. Hell, just goto /r/The_Donald and browse the comments for a bit.

Another problem is the power of reddits popularity. I will not go off on a conspiracy theory, but the last 5 years has ushered in an unbelievable amount internet manipulation from governments and corporations. From bots, to paid shills, all the way to cyber espionage and personal data mining. Reddit's influence and popularity has put a massive target on it's back and as a longtime user I am seeing "fake news", social media lies and manipulation, and simply re-writing the reality of what happened with photoshop or strategic media blackouts happen daily. It's reached a point where I can't tell the difference between a paid poster and an idiot with an opinion at times. Add in the fact that half of modern journalism and the media just repost reddit content without fact-checking, it creates quite the shitstorm. It is is happening everywhere and it really is a scary thing to watch, especially when people take the time to do some digital forensics later on highly controversial issues and discover half of it was a ruse from the start. That being said, reddit is soaked in government and corporate influence, and that's just from the public facing aspect. Who knows what is happening behind the scenes.

But even with all of that, reddit still unites the world in my opinion. The are still amazing subreddits that are very active and informative. There are still experts and professionals offering free information about their experiences and wisdom. There are still celebs and interesting people sharing their stories. There are still amazing moments where people help one another in times of need with things that are tangible and intangible. There are still awesome stories about life, and hilarious moments shared there daily that I really enjoy. Is the UI the greatest in the world? Not really. But it does it's job organizing that much info and diversity, and subreddits can jazz up their pages if they really want to. It's still probably my favorite website in existence.

Foxtrot likes this.
  13. MACK IS GOD

Interesting. I thought "Reddit Gold" was like some shit that you got if your posts were upvoted enough and your posts got more visibility.

/r/The_Donald is cringe in its purest form, but they have been the victim of shadow banning en masse, being removed from the front page despite numbers and activity warranting it, and Reddit was caught in the act of lying about the amount of members. No matter how much a mod team disagrees with something, they have an ethical duty to let the cards fall where they may.

The CTR shills during the election probably outnumbered actual users. I dont know if its still as bad, but it was mind boggling last year. You are spot on with your comments about the state of journalism. Its sad what it has become. No longer are "reporters" interested in presenting facts and allowing people to make their own decisions. Instead its a race to the bottom to see who can break something first. And if it turns out to be completely wrong? No big deal, "How about that outfit Nikki Minaj wore to the Grammys, right guys?". There are so many REAL, IMPORTANT things going on, and the media just caters to the mindless filler that keeps the masses entertained.

I know there is probably a lot of excellent content on Reddit, just for me, I cant deal with the layout. Ive tried to read some subs and there are comments that are hidden and need to be unlocked, there is no organization as to why as far as I can tell, older comments are ahead of newer comments, etc, etc. Its just headache inducing trying to navigate the place. The blinding white background doesnt help either.

14. LUKENBACHER

It sounds like you are using the default reddit settings. Only selected subreddits appear on the POPULAR tab, and all of the comments are sorted by popularity (number of upvotes). And since the number of upvotes on each comment are hidden for the first few hours, it can be confusing.

Click on the ALL tab when you goto reddit. It will unlock all of the subreddits and rank them accordingly including NSFW, instead of a doctored list that displays by default. Then, sort the comment section by new, best, or old when viewing.

MACK IS GOD likes this.
  15. S_L_I_C_K

S_L_I_C_K eSEAL

all i gotta say about reddit is, hold my beer, instant regret, and what could go wrong are fan fucking tastic!

LUKENBACHER likes this.
  16. eVo7

eVo7 Vicious Provacateur

I've never got into reddit at all, sounds like that was a good thing.

17. LUKENBACHER

Love those. I discovered /r/Justfuckmyshitup a few weeks ago and that place has some gold every now and then.

18. LUKENBACHER

If you would rather see everything cool on the internet a few weeks late, reposted by attention seekers browsing reddit for real original content, then enjoy FB, Twitter, and Instagram.

19. MACK IS GOD

4chan is way ahead of the curve in that regard. Reddit is to 4chan as Tumblr is to Reddit. Reddit is usually 2 or 3 steps behind 4chan in regard to Happenings and 4chan's Memeology Division has much more talent than Reddit's. I think because of the anonymous nature of the posts on 4chan it forces you to ingest only the content of the post and the information contained in it, rather than having a username and up/down vote capability as Reddit does.

A different dynamic is created when there is no person attached to the post. You could have a discussion on 4chan that goes on for hours and have no idea whether you were communicating with 1 person or 5 people. All that matters is the content of what you say, not who is saying it and how many people up/down vote it.

I obviously have some bias because I frequent one site much more than the other, but I believe I frequent the other site because it has a superior exchange of ideas. Although it is becoming harder and harder to find those legitimate exchanges of ideas on both sites for the exact reasons you mentioned earlier about shills, bots, and paid posters.

I will be making an effort to spend some more time on Reddit and get a little deeper into the threads after the suggestions you made though, so Im keeping an open mind.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  20. LUKENBACHER

The problem I have with 4chan is my chances of making it on government watch list for the wrong click is a real reality there. It is also bit dark for my tastes as a whole.

I do find it strange that you would complain about reddits interface and recommend 4chan a few posts down. IMO, 4chan's interface is way worse and the hive minds there can be just as bad if not worse than reddit. To each his own I suppose.