XLink Kai Windows 10

Discussion in 'SOCOM On XLink' started by Dominator94, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Edited: What I wrote below is no longer true. It was just a issue with one of pre-Windows 10 releases. It should work fine in retail version.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Windows 10 is no longer backwards compatible with NDIS 5 and current Winpcap release at winpcap.org is design for NDIS 5. You can get fork of Winpcap that able to work with NDIS 6 at http://www.win10pcap.org/download/Win10Pcap-v10.1-5001.msi

At least technical preview have this problem as Windows 10 did not release yet, but I will guess since it removed in technical preview it probably not going to be in real release ether.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  2. ChicKeN

ChicKeN Socomologist

What does this mean?

3. It means you need to use that instead of Winpcap that comes bundle with Xlink Kai installer.

4. ChicKeN

ChicKeN Socomologist

I will be honest I don't know what the heck NDIS or wincap are.

So Xlink works with windows 10 with no issues?

5. You can try installing it like normal, but you probably going to need to download http://www.win10pcap.org/download/Win10Pcap-v10.1-5001.msi instead of version that comes bundle.

Winpcap is capture library Xlink uses to capture PS2 traffic.

6. eVo7

eVo7 Computer Room Technician

Having issues with Win 10 and win10pcap, for whatever reason, randomly win10pcap seems to kill my PC's ethernet interface for no reason and I lose all connectivity. I've reinstalled win10pcap and such and I still have random issues of complete disconnection (this only happens when I am using xlink)

7. You can use Winpcap 4.1.3 http://www.winpcap.org/install/bin/WinPcap_4_1_3.exe

Since the retail version of Windows 10 still support NDIS 5 you can just use the older WinPcap which seems to be very stable compare to other projects people made to try to improve it.

8. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

Is there going to be a system in place for someone to get people logged out a little more efficiently than always hailing you? I have to imagine that is getting old. Has there been any discussion about addressing this? 5am XLink reboots maybe?

9. eVo7

eVo7 Computer Room Technician

I don't think this will work. I already had this on my PC prior and at some point in time Windows updated Win 10 and they no longer support NDIS 5.

10. Trip

Trip Green Up

Also, Xlink wont load on some windows 8 and up devices, u will need to turn off smartscreen if you get an error when trying to run xlink .. usually something along the lines of "windows cant run this app"

11. SHUDRSKI

SHUDRSKI Butterstick

How much smoother would xlink run if everyone put their ip's in rather than just auto everything. I've seen a few videos where people just set everything to auto and are able to get on. Does this cause lag issues and so forth?

12. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD VP of Toxicity

He uses Windows 10.

1489592147671.jpg

He uses Windows 8.

1475468250486.jpg

13. JonasHendrickx

JonasHendrickx Green Up

Hmm can I just use my old PS2? I lost the disc to configure DNAS or the network adapter...

Do I buy another PS2 or get a PS3 with backwards compatibility? Or PCSX2 emulator?

14. dizee

dizee Lucille is thirsty

All the socom discs have the network config on them, just select lan and then edit configurations.

Ps2 or bc Ps3s work fine, emulators like pcsx2 lag badly when more than 2 people are in a room so it's unplayable and not viable

15. JonasHendrickx

JonasHendrickx Green Up

Is it still worth buying everything for the XLink?

16. dizee

dizee Lucille is thirsty

its really up to you. IMO yes, but dont expect things to be what they were in 2003. xlink isnt perfect. if you still have your old ps2 with a network adapter, then you are pretty much set.

17. Swill

Swill Ninja SEAL

It's definitely worth it. Once you get everything set up, it's easy to get going and it's fun to play again. We also have a Discord channel where we group up and chat when we play. If you have any questions or need help getting set up, just send me a PM and let me know.

Drum likes this.