xtreme sports??

Discussion in 'Mindless Ramblings' started by Ditch, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Ditch

Ditch Requiem

I'm curious if anyone here does,
    Or used to
    Skateboard
    Bmx
    Aggro inline skate?
    Back in the late 90's and early 2000's I was so into aggressive inline skating,
    Found some of my old stuff the other day, vhs tape of vg4 ( puppets of destiny) and damaged goods
    Along with my 20 year old Senate shirt, back when Arlo Eiaenburg and Chris Edwards were huge

Screenshot_2016-09-09-21-05-10.png

Screenshot_2016-09-09-21-05-22.png

I used to use the majestic 12's on the half pipe and grinding curbs and rails,
    The 62 impalas are great for roller hockey. .

Drum likes this.
  2. Buchanans

Buchanans Breach Bandit

I used to ride motocross when I was a kid, was really good. But as I got older and needed something larger then an 80cc I didn't have the money to upgrade, a truck to put it in myself, or a parent that cared anymore so I feel out of doing it. There is my uncles CRF460 or something up in Tahoe that I should probably use as he's in wheelchair dying so... don't want to seem like a dick though, kind of a sensitive situation.

The area of LA I grew up in was in the hills and had no sidewalks so skateboarding was something I never got into as it would of been a get hit in the street situation. Same with skating. Fun fact my dad did hit a skater.... on purpose. I'll use a skateboard now to basically practice riding switch for snowboarding.

Still snowboard. Better now then I have been and pretty decent but I wouldn't say anything I do would be considered extreme. I'm not hucking any cliffs or bobbing though trees at break neck speeds.

SkiMask and Ditch like this.
  3. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD VP of Toxicity

Theres definitely certain sports that require coming from a family with means.

Motorcross is one of them. I had a buddy of mine who was an absolute savant when it came to riding dirtbikes and quads when we were teenagers. He could do shit that blew my mind and did it like it was nothing at all. He came from an upper middle class household, but even that wasnt enough to afford the shit he needed to really compete with the top kids in the sport.

He was friends with Jeremy McGrath and all the other big names from the mid to late 90s, but he just couldnt keep up with the money needed for transportation, gear, maintenance, and all the other expenses that go along with that shit.

The funny thing is, that scene of dudes try to come off like theyre bad ass from the gutter type dudes, covering themselves with trashy tattoos and trying to act like theyre hard. But in reality, 95% of the time, theyre pampered bitches whos parents net 500k+ annually and were raised in a bubble with a 3 car garage and an in ground pool.

I dont know if you remember the whole "Metal Militia" group that was big on the motorcross scene in the late 90s-early 2000s, but those idiots were doing some kind of tour thing around the Philly/Jersey area back around 2002 and they were hitting the local strip clubs hard acting like they owned the place.

One time they came into Cheerleaders, which is right outside of Philly, and they started some shit. They got beat down so hard half their crew couldnt even perform the next day. While they were getting beat up, one of their hangers on was offering to pay money if we would stop stomping on them........

SkiMask, Buchanans and Ditch like this.
  4. Ditch

Ditch Requiem

I love skydiving and riding motorcycles, but I'm scared to jump motorcycles,
    And my friends who do the 30 ft jumps are scared to skydive lol.
    I'm hoping to get into para motoring within a few years

SkiMask and Buchanans like this.
  5. MACK IS GOD

I was watching some hang gliding videos on youtube recently and thats something I would love to try. Looked like a mix of skydiving and surfing.

6. Buchanans

Buchanans Breach Bandit

Speaking of shit that blows your mind and seems impossible anybody ever check out high level trails riding? Some of these guys can from a dead stop jump up a sheer rock face that is near 8 feet high. They'll be bouncing on the rear tire only hoping from rock to rock. Dad used to know the world champ for the early 80's, Bernie, would do crazy stuff in our yard, ride around with no front wheel, etc. The stuff guys can do now days with the new bikes blows the stuff away I saw as a kid.

I wish I had been able to keep at it with the dirtbikes, not competitively but just riding in general. One of the best full body workouts... seems weird saying something about something that has a motor but it's true. The tracks were fun but I enjoyed the trails just as much because they'd take you places that you couldn't normally get to. It's also one of the reasons I absolutely despised quads... I viewed them as stupid wide things that couldn't go or do what you could do on two wheels.

SkiMask likes this.
  7. Buchanans

Buchanans Breach Bandit

Knew somebody that ended up paralyzed that was into that big. There was a shift in wind and they ate shit along some coast. I know people that have done the same things on bikes come to think about it. One of them was a stupid fucking drunk that probably deserved it because he had been the cause of other people being in that situation before him. Amazing rider but just a complete lack or respect for other peoples safety, guess he rides the chair now days.

Surfing is another thing that is fun but I'm not the greatest swimmer and you'd be surprised at how absolutlely strong a waves can be. I've riden the fine line between grey out and black out a couple times while underwater. Real bad place to get knocked out.

8. MACK IS GOD

The forearm pump from extended riding is fuckin brutal. Ive had times where it took me a couple days before I could even fully make a fist after a long ride.

I understand your point about quads, but I liked them when I didnt feel like really ripping it up and just wanted a more laid back cruising type vibe. Especially if you were making a day of the ride, because you could carry extra gas, fishing equipment, food, booze, etc.

Had a good friend who was a big surfing fan. He took me out once with him. I paddled out with him about 300 yards or so and waited for a wave. Wave came. He caught it. I didnt. I just couldnt get the balance right. At that point really big waves started smashing over me and I just held on the the board wimpering like a little bitch and let the waves wash me in. Took about 30 minutes. Never again.

Im not a real big ocean guy. Its really just a disgusting mess of slime and impending death as far as Im concerned. Beautiful to look at but its just gross as hell to be in it.

9. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

So many places to jump in not sure where to start. I would LOVE to get into some motorized para gliding. I also would love to get one of them Dragonflys. Heard you don't really need a pilot license for them and they look pretty bad ass. It was what was used to tow me up when I went hang gliding. While extremely fun, hang gliding seems pretty sketchy. Like Buch said, you can easily take a dump in them things if the wind picks up right. Now what I think is pretty rad is the hang gliders that use what they call "mosquito legs" or something to power them with the aid of a mouth throttle or something similar to a camelbak mouth piece and hooked to like a 100cc backpack engine. Instant take offs...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  10. Ditch

Ditch Requiem

Check out Blackhawk paramotors
    As for myself, with money being tight I’m getting back into skating, going to make a rail to grind in my front yard and teach my kids how to rollerblade and play hockey, kids these days don’t play outside enough, there’s actually a skate park about 1/2 mile from my house, rarely used, in the 90’s we would have been all over it. Of course the small town my house is in was just getting built in the late 90’s

Drum likes this.