Your Weapons

Discussion in 'Mindless Ramblings' started by SkiMask, Mar 11, 2016.

1. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

Post up your stash. Seen a few hunters around here. Rifles, pistols, shotguns, Kyoketsu-shoge, whatevs. Heading to the range on Sunday and I forgot to clean my shit from the last few times, years ago. Ugh. Ammo is fucking expensive too. Heard somewhere since gun control is so never going to happen that they decided to fuck with the ammo. Great.

Here is my Beretta 96FS Brigadier in .40 S&W.
    Beretta.jpg

hand-o_death547 and Buchanans like this.
  2. Buchanans

Buchanans Breach Bandit

Guess I'll start with the oldest.

Up top is a 100 year old 1916 World War 1 German DWM Luger in 9mm. It was carried into the trenches in battle by a member of the German Imperial Army where he was killed. At some point my great grandfather came along and took possession of the pistol since the original person it was issued to would no longer be needing it.

Below the Luger is a custom modified, heavily used, beat to absolute shit, World War 2 1943 bayonet for a K98 Mauser with matching metal sheath. The tip is so worn down the German who had it must of used it to dig trenches or pry shit apart. He certainly wasn't stabbing people with it. He cut the back of the handle off and rounded it off for some reason, it probably would not fit on a rifle like intended. It's bent where the handle meets the blade. The most interesting thing, and I just recently realized this, is the guy put a custom sweetheart grip on one side. I had thought it was just some weird coloring under some old sort of clear plastic but I looked closely and it's a naked chick. Maybe it was his girl, wife, or just some ass to look at? Anyways he was shot, and my grandfather found it interesting enough to take off his Nazi corpse.

20160312_213255a.jpg

3. SkiMask

SkiMask Devil's Advocate

Those are some great stories and I certainly appreciate the history you've shared about your great grandfather.

4. UnSeenDeath88

UnSeenDeath88 Butcher Pete

I don't have anything yet, just haven't bought one. But I've been looking for a Colt LE6920 Magpul FDE. My brother was able to find one at his local hunting store for less than 900. The cheapest I've found online is 975 and most are 1200. For those that don't know the 6920 is the civilian M4 everything about it is milspec except it's not select fire[​IMG]

hand-o_death547 likes this.
  5. Ditch

Ditch Requiem

Awesome.
    And thanks for the history behind each.
    I don't know if my grandpa brought anything back from wwii, other that some shrapnel and scars

Buchanans likes this.
  6. Buchanans

Buchanans Breach Bandit

I think my grandfather or great grandfather may of brought something else back as well.
    Everybody should know what this is.

20160315_181843a.jpg

Don't have an AR yet myself either, probably going to pick up a couple stripped lowers and build them up the way I want myself. Might even do an 80% just cause it seems fun. And being in CA there's an actual benefit... plus I'd give it a serial number that read something like FK-CADOJ-001 for the laughs. You probably have access to tools that'd make an 80% real easy to do.

7. hand-o_death547

hand-o_death547 Foxhunt

As someone who bought an AR I'd say it is just easier to buy all of the stuff individually and built it. I have replaced a ton of the parts in mine. But no matter what you go with I would recommend checking out spikes tactical and bcm. I have heard a lot of good stuff about both of them and I am considering buying an upper from one of them. And I would post a picture of my AR but it is late and I don't feel like it, maybe tomorrow.

UnSeenDeath88 likes this.
  8. UnSeenDeath88

Nope, the only machine shop I know of around here is at work, but I don't think they have time to do any "government" work. And I actually don't have any guns yet, really don't have a place to put any, I've got the small bedroom and it's pretty much full of all my other junk I could put a rifle in my closet if I got rid of the cheap telescope my parents bought when I was a kid. Since we've moved twice I kept saying we should just get rid of it but they kept saying no. About the only thing it was good for was hooking it up to the tv and using it to see the moon..

9. S_L_I_C_K

S_L_I_C_K eSEAL

You are 100% right, its better to build than to buy. I have $1300 in this one i built this past winter. its all mil spec, 20" heavy 1 in 8 twist barrel, m4 bolt, troy hand guard, cmmg trigger, A2 stock, 32 power scope. I was building the gun from The lone survivor, the mk12 Mark Wahlberg used.
    [​IMG]

10. hand-o_death547

hand-o_death547 Foxhunt

Damn that is a nice rifle! After I get a new upper I am thinking about optics because all I have right now is basic magpul mbus sites. I am thinking about aimpoint, I wanted an eotech but with that recall and such I think aimpoint would be better.

11. S_L_I_C_K

S_L_I_C_K eSEAL

I build it back in november and have not fired a single round through it yet. with the heavy barrel, troy hand guard, scope, and bi pod it weighs in at 14 pounds empty. when you hold it you know you are holding something.
    oh and all the tan with the exception of the stock is powdercoat, so i dont have to worry about scratching it. i orginally wanted to go with a camo pattern but i just cant bring myself to paint the scope and i dont think it would look right without the scope matching.

SkiMask and hand-o_death547 like this.
  12. Buchanans

Buchanans Breach Bandit

Nice.

Yeah most people have told me that I should build instead of buy. That if you buy almost everybody ends up changing furniture, etc, out to the stuff you really want and it ends up costing more. Plus I like building stuff.

Here's what I don't get and why I haven't started yet. Do you think there is a big difference between one stripped lower and another. I've seen some Andersons for like 45 each, S&W for 160, and others for over 200? On that build what lower do you have?

13. Buchanans

Buchanans Breach Bandit

Mauser 98 action in 7mm Remington Magnum. New acquisition.
    Shot it first time this week. Shoots great but scope is fucking wildly off high and a little to the right. So I need to spend some time at the range to sight it in. Maybe get a different scope before I bother.
    What a stock should look like on a rifle like this....
    20160317_171212a.jpg

hand-o_death547 and SkiMask like this.
  14. S_L_I_C_K

S_L_I_C_K eSEAL

mine was an 80% billet lower. i have had my hands on about 10 different lowers in the last couple years and personally dont think there is any difference between any of them. the only thing that would make a difference is if it is anodized or not, the anodizing will make the aluminum harder which prevents wear. really to build one from the ground up there is not a whole lot of parts and it is really easy to do. the only special tools you need are the holding fixture, barrel wrench, and torque wrench, and if you dont want to buy those any gun shop will install your barrel and assemble your upper for about $50.

15. Buchanans

Buchanans Breach Bandit

Ok that's kind of what I was thinking, that it's a milled piece of aluminum and it's either done right and to spec or not.
    I have torch wrenches already.
    The wrench and the holding block look like both would cost 30 or less.
    what jig you use for you 80's?

16. S_L_I_C_K

S_L_I_C_K eSEAL

I didnt use any of the commercial fixtures, a friend of mine brought his AR over and i took it apart and built a holding fixture around his lower, i drilled the holes on each side of the fixture that locate the safety and trigger holes. its basically an aluminum block that the lower sits in and the take down holes hold it in place. then i measured his up with some calipers, drew a diagram and went from there. i can take a picture of it if you want.

and i think the wrench and holding fixture for the upper are around $45 for the pair. so if you plan on doing more than one they are worth buying.

17. MACK IS GOD

MACK IS GOD VP of Toxicity

I have a Beretta INOX 92FS with a 17 round magazine (completely illegal in my state), with the pipe hot giving me 18 ready to go within arms reach at anytime. In my opinion the INOX is the single sexiest pistol made and it shoots like butter. Double action on the first shot, single action for everyone after is perfect for combat or defense scenarios. I keep 5 hollow point loads at the top of the stack and in the pipe to prevent any misses going through my neighbor's walls since if anyone got hit with a stray I'd catch a charge even if I was firing in self defense. The rest I just load out with standard FMJ 9mm rounds of whatever I have leftover from the range.

I toyed around with +P rounds but didn't like the feel and the added muzzle velocity didn't seem worth the added stress to the firearm. Thats my arms reach piece because I don't care about anything other than round count at that point. I'll take 18 rounds of 9mm over 10 .45 or 6 .357 when I get woken up out of the blue to some Dindu Nuffins breaking into my shit.

18. UnSeenDeath88

Here's a video on BCM these guys say BCM is probably the best on the market.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    hand-o_death547 likes this.
  19. hand-o_death547

hand-o_death547 Foxhunt

That guy has a great youtube channel. I was at a gun show today and I was gonna buy a bcm charging handle but of course they were all way more expensive then just buying one at a local gun store. I managed to get a bunch of old military surplus stuff though which is worth it to me.

UnSeenDeath88 likes this.
  20. UnSeenDeath88